Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Electrical Enthusiast

Share |

LP gas heater acting strange

We have an older thermolaire 65000 BTU LP heater that we use to heat a small vacation home. (Similar to this one: http://shop-static.rollanet.org/uimg-lg/9104348.jpg )

Last winter we started having problems with it. The gas would click on and sometimes take a while to catch and ignite the burner, sometimes doing so with a loud bang because of the gas buildup. Sometimes it would also partially light and make a loud blowing sound before catching completely. The pilot also went out two or three times. Before this winter we took it apart and cleaned the burner, thinking it was dirty. It seemed to help slightly, but soon we started having the same problems. Then we showed up one day and the pilot was out again, and it was leaking gas like crazy (Room stank strongly of propane). We vented the house out and got it going normally again, but decided to turn the gas off and we are currently using oil radiators to get through these cold spells.

Is this a telltale sign of anything that could be an easy fix? I've done a lot of DIY myself but have never worked with LP heaters. Thanks.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Bad Thermocouple most likely. I would shut gas off until it is fixed. You also need to get a gas sensor that will automatically close a valve to the LP feed, when it senses dangerous levels of leaking LPG.

You definitely do not need what happened a month ago at one local home, when they had a leaky furnace or water heater, that caused the whole home to be demolished. It was stated that you could hear it all over the county when it happened.

Suggest that you get one of these while it is not working right, or just as I stated before, shut off the gas to the appliance until you can either fix it or replace the whole unit. http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...1846/1846.aspx

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Electrical Enthusiast

Yes, we've shut the gas off for the rest of the season. There is a propane shortage anyway so it isn't a huge deal.

A bad thermocouple could cause all of these problems?And I also thought it kept the gas off when it was not ignited but obviously something went wrong.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
STAFF

Had that problem one time years back, it turned out that ice was forming in the line, that may not be your trouble but it could be.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Electrical Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Had that problem one time years back, it turned out that ice was forming in the line, that may not be your trouble but it could be.
Not sure that this would be causing it because there were times where it would be in the 40s and 50s for several days and we would still have the issue. Who knows though?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle_in_rure For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Does it have a thermocouple, or a thermopile? Thermocouple the gas should have shut off if the pilot went out. If it doesn't, then its time for a new gas valve. If it s athermopile, then it is common for the gas not to shut off from the pilot even though the pilot is out. Easy way to tell the difference, is to look at the gas valve. If it has 2 wires running to it from the flame sensing bulb, its a thermopile, if not, its a thermocouple.

If its a thermocouple, its probably time to change the thermocouple out.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Electrical Enthusiast

I believe it has a thermocouple, I'll have to go up and double check. I feel like we may have had it replaced it 10-15 years ago