Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low Ambient Kit for Trane/American Std.

I am concerned that the anti-frost switch on my inside unit kicks on a lot even at 72 degrees outside. Its a new system, and it's blowing 43 degrees , but what if one day that anti-frost switch breaks and the condenser freezes up? Don't want that. And we have people with allergies in the house, so we like to keep the windows closed.

I hear that American Standard makes a "Low Ambient kit" for the outdoor compressor unit (4A7A3042D) . What does it do, and does anyone know the part number so I can get an accurate quote? Is there a heater involved with this, pressure control or just a temp-driven fan motor speed controller?

Thanks for any help.

JRomulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,712

What inside unit do you have? brand and model number.

BAYLOAM103 is the kit that Trane. uses. Trane/American Standard are the same thing.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Thanks Beenthere.

I'd rather not say at this point for the sake of confidentiality? I am only interested in solutions involving the outdoor unit.

I did call Am. Standard and they called it KIT08087, which I then was able to track back online to the BAYLOAM103. How would you describe what BAYLOAM103 does to a layman?

It obviously must allow the the temperature of the refrigerant going to the inside unit to increase somehow, in order to prevent the frost sensor from kicking in and shutting off the outdoor unit altogether.

How does that it do that? Merely by adjusting the head pressure? And does it do this by reducing the speed at which the compressor works or the fan turns?
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Before i would go into detail of how it works. I generally like to know if its going to do what its intended to do, and for what the person wants it for. Without knowing what indoor unit the condenser is connected to. i don't recommend things, or explain how they work. As the person may think it will work for them. And when it doesn't want to know how to make it work in a manor it isn't intended to work in.
hvactech126 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

That's fine Beenthere, I respect your position.

However, if there is anyone reading this that doesn't have an issue explaining how this particular HVAC part works or is designed to work in simple terms, your feedback is welcome. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomulus View Post
Thanks Beenthere.

I'd rather not say at this point for the sake of confidentiality? I am only interested in solutions involving the outdoor unit.

I did call Am. Standard and they called it KIT08087, which I then was able to track back online to the BAYLOAM103. How would you describe what BAYLOAM103 does to a layman?

It obviously must allow the the temperature of the refrigerant going to the inside unit to increase somehow, in order to prevent the frost sensor from kicking in and shutting off the outdoor unit altogether.

How does that it do that? Merely by adjusting the head pressure? And does it do this by reducing the speed at which the compressor works or the fan turns?
Thanks.

Whats so confidential?
hvactech126 (05-15-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 682

Low Ambient temp cutoff switch is to shut off outside unit at a selected outdoor temp to prevent outdoor unit from running at inefficient. temp.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

How do you know the problem is with the outside unit. 45deg is pretty low supply temp for normal cooling. I would verify indoor airflow before worrying about the outdoor unit. A low ambient kit should not be needed until cooling is needed at outdoor temps closer to 60.
Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ebierley For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Low Ambient temp cutoff switch is to shut off outside unit at a selected outdoor temp to prevent outdoor unit from running at inefficient. temp.
NO that is not it
Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
While there are low ambient stats to lock out the A/C at low temps. The OP was asking bout a low ambient kit. Which aids the A/C when it runs at low outdoor temps.
hvactech126 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

All a low ambient kit does is to turn the condensor fan off when the head pressure drops below a set pressure. They're designed to keep units that have to run when it's below 60 degrees outside like a unit cooling a kitchen in a restaurant or a computer server room.

As someone else said I don't think that's the issue. 45 degree supply temp is too low. Your unit should only drop the air temp 20 degrees at most. So unless it's only 65 in the house you've got too high of a temp drop. That would indicate a low airflow issue. Also the low ambient kit shouldn't do anything at all if it's above about 60 degrees so if the issue is happening when it's in the 70's outside the low ambient kit won't stop your problem.

JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote