Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Low Air Flow out of Vents

My house is only a year and half old. I have two separate heat pump units, including a 3 ton unit that runs the master suite and most of the daily living area and a 2 ton unit that runs the spare bedroom area. Back last summer, I put a programmable stat on the 3 ton unit to save some energy. It performed very well here in the deep south with sweltering summers. Winter rolled around, and it took me a while to get the stat set up properly for heat, but eventually got it working. We have had a very mild winter, and haven't really needed the heat too much, but I noticed it seemed it had to be on a lot to keep up. The last couple days, it's been warm enough to fire up the AC. It ran all night and really didn't cool at all. I did some investigating today, and I noticed that the air feel cool, but the volume is maybe 25% of what it's been previously. I even hooked up the original stat, but got the same result. I'm really confused and frustrated. Everything seems to be running like it should, but the air flow isn't there. I also change the filters regular. Meanwhile, the other unit is cooling like a charm. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

apewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
REP

Way too little info top work with in your post.
What is your backup heat?Is there any indication of water around the indoor unit? Is there any ice build up on the insulated copper line outside.
When you set up the stat whatever that means,did you put it though the whole .I.E. cooling,heating,emergy htg,,,,,,,,and fan on,off,automatic?Is it automatic or manuel switching from heat to cool?
Is your system run with hard pipe or flex pipe.Flex should be as stright as possible,as short as possible,there should be no noticible dips in the lines,and 90 degree and 45 degree bends should be metal.I'm going to stop here,there is just too much not known to even begin guessing.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

Check for weak blower motor capacitor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
jkv

What speed is your blower motor running on? As REP said need more info...
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

My backup heat is electric heat strips.

I have seen no evidence of water from the inside unit, but I'll have to stick my head up in the attic and check the pan. I haven't dug into the outside, but I will inspect it this afternoon.

I set up the thermostat as 1C/2H Heat pump. It has manual changover from heat to cool. I set it up for the secondary and emergency heat to be the electic heat.

"Is your system run with hard pipe or flex pipe?"

Are you referring to the duct work? If so, it's all rigid sheet metal ducting.

beenthere, I will check the capacitor. Is there anything specific I should look for?

I'm not sure if I made it clear, but it's important to say that the system ran perfect for a year through the winter and a very hot summer. Only recently has the low air flow issue come about, but everything sounds normal. The fan in the handler sounds like it's blowing hard as usual. You just have to put you hand within 4" of the vent to feel any flow. I can't be sure if any of this is related to a change in the thermostat. Like I said, The AC ran great in the summer after I swapped it out.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Part of the Clover Leaf

don't know how long u ran the unit. but the coil inside maybe iced up blocking airflow....and just to be sure check the filter. Sometimes we forget and time flies by.

u could also have a lint/dust plugged coil....
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

I left the unit off all day yesterday before I went home after work to test it again. I also changed the filters.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Part of the Clover Leaf

that leaves either a possible plugged inside coil or a weak motor.
if your system uses flex duct, than it is possible that a return trunk branch is crushed or collapsed.

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote