Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Loud Metal Scratching Noise as furnace starts

I have a Carrier gas furnace that is at least ten years old. On occssion, when it tries to kick on it makes a loud metalic scratching noise that sounds like a metal rake scratching wire screen. The sound lasts a second or so. I am not sure, but I think that the gas valve is having trouble opening. The gas valve was replaced a little over a year ago. Prior to being replaced the furnace was making the same noise.

I have noticed that when the noise is occuring the inducer motor starts and the pilot light kicks on (9most of the time). The pilot light dims and the burners won't start and then the inducer motor stops. This leads to a gas smell near and around the furnace.

Sometimes the pilot will have trouble starting. I may hear many ticks of the pilot trying to kick on and then I will hear the loud metalic scratching sound. The scratching may occur several times before the furnace finally fires up. Sometmes it won't start and I have to shut the furnace down for hours before firing it up again without a problem.

I originally thought that the inducer motor wasn't creating enough draft to fire up the furnace and that was causing the gas valve difficulty to open.

I am leaning toward thinking that my new gas valve is bad or clogged, or possibly the wrong part. It was installed by a local contractor, but anyone can make a mistake.

I am at a loss as to what the cause of the problem is. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Ron

Ron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

The inducer blower wheel is rubbing metal.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Agree with Houston 204 draft motor need replaced. It will get worst if not replaced.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

Hello, I have a Clare Megasave (HEG80B) which is about 20-25 yrs old. This morning a sound started coming from the blower motor (Model Emerson K33HXCFE-964). It is a whirring or a metal scratching. Similar to the original posters sound. After that sound goes on for about 1 minute the pilot ignites and then after another minute to rest of furnace kicks in and the blower goes out.

Is there anything I can do aside from replacing or rebuilding this motor?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a link to the pictures of the part in question.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryjcweston/

Last edited by barryweston; 02-05-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Link To Picutres
barryweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a new inducer motor assembly several weeks ago, thinking that it might be failing. I will install the new one and see if that takes care of the repair.

If that doesn't work I will look into the gas valve and the mother board. Both of them were replaced a little over a year ago.

About the only part that wasn't replaced a little over a year ago was the inducer motor. That was one of the reasons that I was focused on the inducer motor as the problem.

Thanks again, Ron
Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryweston View Post
hello, i have a clare megasave (heg80b) which is about 20-25 yrs old. This morning a sound started coming from the blower motor (model emerson k33hxcfe-964). It is a whirring or a metal scratching. Similar to the original posters sound. After that sound goes on for about 1 minute the pilot ignites and then after another minute to rest of furnace kicks in and the blower goes out.

Is there anything i can do aside from replacing or rebuilding this motor?

Thanks!

Edit: Here is a link to the pictures of the part in question.

yes start your own post and not hi-jack someone eleses thread

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
yes start your own post and not hi-jack someone eleses thread
The post is relevant and the same issue the OP is having, not hijacking, asking if I am in the same situation as the OP.

Since I cannot PM you Plumber101.

New thread http://www.kezoki.com/r.php?ls=en&ur...starts-132511/

Last edited by barryweston; 02-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.
barryweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron22 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a new inducer motor assembly several weeks ago, thinking that it might be failing. I will install the new one and see if that takes care of the repair.

If that doesn't work I will look into the gas valve and the mother board. Both of them were replaced a little over a year ago.

About the only part that wasn't replaced a little over a year ago was the inducer motor. That was one of the reasons that I was focused on the inducer motor as the problem.

Thanks again, Ron
Wow you going to swap out parts until it works but can save more money to get a hvac tech. out and fix it right the first time. Looks like you save more money that way.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryweston View Post
Hello, I have a Clare Megasave (HEG80B) which is about 20-25 yrs old. This morning a sound started coming from the blower motor (Model Emerson K33HXCFE-964). It is a whirring or a metal scratching. Similar to the original posters sound. After that sound goes on for about 1 minute the pilot ignites and then after another minute to rest of furnace kicks in and the blower goes out.

Is there anything I can do aside from replacing or rebuilding this motor?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a link to the pictures of the part in question.

Once a motor starts making noise that's pretty much it, it's done, toast. Get a new motor and be done with it.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
how

Rewards Points: 512

The one exception to needing to change the ID assy are those inducer motors which are rubber mounted. As they age the rubber mountings sag and allow the vent cage to make contact with with the inside case of the ID assy. I have often simply remounted them back into their original position. If you can grab the ID motor and easily move it a 1/4 inch in all directions then you may have one of those rubber mounted assys.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
Wow you going to swap out parts until it works but can save more money to get a hvac tech. out and fix it right the first time. Looks like you save more money that way.
Tator 1076,

I appreciate your advice, but I have had at least three differnet HVAC technicians look at my furnance. That's how all of the parts were replaced to begin with. About the only part they didn't replacein trying to repair my furnace was the Inducer Motor. Studying the way the furnace functioned (or better yet how it wasn't functioning), I fugured that the problem might be the Inducer Motor. I ordered a new Inducer Motoer and have had it on hand for several weeks now. I wanted to confirm with some of the experts here on DIY that I was headed down the right path before replacing it. Based on the responses that I have received I most likely will correct the problem by replacing the Inducer Motor.

Thanks again to all for your advice. Ron
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron22 View Post
Tator 1076,

I appreciate your advice, but I have had at least three differnet HVAC technicians look at my furnance. That's how all of the parts were replaced to begin with. About the only part they didn't replacein trying to repair my furnace was the Inducer Motor. Studying the way the furnace functioned (or better yet how it wasn't functioning), I fugured that the problem might be the Inducer Motor. I ordered a new Inducer Motoer and have had it on hand for several weeks now. I wanted to confirm with some of the experts here on DIY that I was headed down the right path before replacing it. Based on the responses that I have received I most likely will correct the problem by replacing the Inducer Motor.

Thanks again to all for your advice. Ron