Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for ways to save on OIL!!!

Hi, i have a summer/winter hookup oil burner with hot water baseboard heat. With oil prices going through the roof and almost as much as my mortgage payment for a fill up, i am looking for ways to save.

Is there any way i can use electric to heat some water to save?
Or us LP gas, i do not have natural gas here.

mayhem69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

If Electric is cheaper than gas or oil, no reason not to switch over.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Use an electric water heater for all of your hot water needs summer and winter. Either convert, or have your boiler converted to a cold start boiler, or at least turn the low limit down to 100. Potential savings of 200 plus gallons of oil a year.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Well, you are probably going to have to spend some money to save any on a current oil burning heating plant. Is the unit at least efficient as it burns? Can you switch out the burn unit to something higher efficiency? Not sure where you are but LP gas is not exactly cheap these days either. Nothing wrong with the idea of having a switchable energy source though.

Is your thermostat for the system in the correct place or should you think about moving it? If your baseboard radiators are adjustable, have you "feathered" them system wide so you are not overheating rooms you do not use?

Have you bled and flushed the hot water portion of your system so you are boiling just water and not accumulated mineral deposits and trapped air is not negatively effecting efficiency.

Obviously the less work the unit has to do the better. Have you brought insulation up to what you can with your budget? Even simple things like outlet and switch insulator sheets on exterior walls can really help along with exterior door and window seals and working weatherstripping. Wall and attic insulation of course to as high r value as you can afford.

Do you have storm windows? Even that window film stretched over the windows in winter helps as do some of the thermal window treatments. I have ordered some really nice fitted storms that fit inside that clients have liked. Especially those in old Victorians that used to risk life and limb 3-4 stories in the air. They can fit them in place each season in slippers and jammies if they want. And having them on the inside makes it possible to open a window now and then.

Ceiling fans switched to move air the correct direction in winter (most people forget the direction needs to be switched with seasonal changes) can help rising warm air, that might otherwise escape, circulate back into the room. Of course ceiling fans can really help the AC in summer too.

Dampers on any fireplaces closed whenever not in use? You would be surprised how much air is sucked up a chimney even when not in use.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem69 View Post
Hi, i have a summer/winter hookup oil burner with hot water baseboard heat. With oil prices going through the roof and almost as much as my mortgage payment for a fill up, i am looking for ways to save.

Is there any way i can use electric to heat some water to save?
Or us LP gas, i do not have natural gas here.
Just to give you an idea, propane has about 2/3 the gross available BTU's per gallon as #2 fuel oil, or you could say that oil has 1.5 times the available BTU.

I can't speak for your area, but I contracted with the local propane supplier this year at $1.51/gallon of propane. I expect, if I filled today with heating oil, I'd be paying about $3.40 to 3.50 per gallon.

There's a number of variable you need to look at to get an honest answer, like % efficiency of heating equipment, your own actual prices, time lapse for return on investment of new equipment, etc....

Also, as sdsester mentioned above, lowering you heating load by insulation, sealing up the house, etc.... is usually the best money spent.....
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Well, you are probably going to have to spend some money to save any on a current oil burning heating plant. Is the unit at least efficient as it burns? Can you switch out the burn unit to something higher efficiency? Not sure where you are but LP gas is not exactly cheap these days either. Nothing wrong with the idea of having a switchable energy source though.

Is your thermostat for the system in the correct place or should you think about moving it? If your baseboard radiators are adjustable, have you "feathered" them system wide so you are not overheating rooms you do not use?

Have you bled and flushed the hot water portion of your system so you are boiling just water and not accumulated mineral deposits and trapped air is not negatively effecting efficiency.

Obviously the less work the unit has to do the better. Have you brought insulation up to what you can with your budget? Even simple things like outlet and switch insulator sheets on exterior walls can really help along with exterior door and window seals and working weatherstripping. Wall and attic insulation of course to as high r value as you can afford.

Do you have storm windows? Even that window film stretched over the windows in winter helps as do some of the thermal window treatments. I have ordered some really nice fitted storms that fit inside that clients have liked. Especially those in old Victorians that used to risk life and limb 3-4 stories in the air. They can fit them in place each season in slippers and jammies if they want. And having them on the inside makes it possible to open a window now and then.

Ceiling fans switched to move air the correct direction in winter (most people forget the direction needs to be switched with seasonal changes) can help rising warm air, that might otherwise escape, circulate back into the room. Of course ceiling fans can really help the AC in summer too.

Dampers on any fireplaces closed whenever not in use? You would be surprised how much air is sucked up a chimney even when not in use.
thanks for your reply, lot of info.
What do you mean when you state " is my unit efficient when it burns"?
I have a New Yorker , it states Doe heating cap. - 98k-122k
It was in my house 13 yrs. ago when i bought it.
I have 3 thermostats, and the 1 thermostat i always keep down to 60, cause we never go into that area of the house. Although our bedroom is in that zone we use a nice electric fireplace for 3-4 hrs. every night in the winter and electric blanket.
Also, i have no idea what "feathered" means to my baseboard heaters??
I do have bleeders throughout the house on the baseboard heaters.
Is flushing the hot line something i can do??
Are there much higher efficiency oil burning units i can buy?

mayhem69 is offline   Reply With Quote