Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for return noise help

I have loud returns and I was hoping somebody could take a look at this and give suggestions on reducing the noise.

Three Story House Approx 2100 sq foot between 1st & 2nd Floor:

Unfinished Basement:
Comfortmaker system. Filter right by blower. Return splits with one going to 1st floor and one going to the second floor. Ductwork going to 1st fl is 16 x 10. Ductwork going to 2nd floor is 12 x 10

1st Floor, Open Floor concept:
Ductwork comes from basement (16 x 10) and stops half way up the wall. Return grill is 16 x 16 and is at the bottom of the wall. This return is loud when it kicks on. Have to turn up volume on TV. I took the grill off and the noise is the same.

2nd Floor:
Ductwork comes from basement (12 x 10) and return is in the master bedroom and is 12 x 12 grill. There is also a return in the loft above the stairs in the ceiling. This return connects to the 12 x 10 ductwork through flexduct in the attic. This return pretty much draws no air. When I take the grill off the return in the master the noise is the same and I can't feel any air coming down when I stick arm up the ductwork. It seems all the air is rushing at the bottom of the opening.

I'm not sure if I don't have enough ductwork? Can I just get a quieter blower? Should the return in the loft be connected to the return in the master? Can I just put filters on the return grills? Anything I can add to the ductwork to soften sound? Even though the basement is unfinshed I use it like it is finished. Should I have a return and registers installed in the basement?

Just ask for any other info. Thanks in advance.

BlueNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Looking for return noise help

What size is the system, post the model number of your outdoor unit if you don't know its size.

Your return duct may be too small.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote