Looking For Last Minute Advice - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Looking for last minute advice

A/C finally went out after putting a bandaid on it for the last 3-4 years. With rising temps, small kids in the house, and a referal from family, I picked a company to do the work without much shopping around. The unit that's scheduled to be installed is a Westinghouse, 3-ton, 10 SEER unit. The outside unit, as well as the coil is getting replaced for just under $2200 (tax, labor, parts, etc).

Any opinions on Westinghouse? It carries an 8 year warranty, and a 5 year full replacement warranty if the compressor goes out within that 5 years (hope that wouldn't happen).

My concern is the 10 SEER rating. As I understand it, 10 SEER units are no longer manufactured (effective early 2006), but there are still a bunch out there in stock that can be sold/installed. Will this be a problem with parts availability down the road? My father-in-law just replaced his whole a/c and furnace, and went on about how I may have made a bad decision. I think he may have been taken on a bit of a sales ride myself....he went and bought all the bells and whistles for a tiny ranch....a 13 SEER unit (which goes to a 14 SEER with the purchase of variable fan, which he did purchase), humidifier, UV light to kill mold, germs, etc, and whatever else was available.

Advertisement

daveincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #2

Where do you live? How long do you plan on staying in the house? Will be harder to sell with an obsolete 10 SEER unit. I would get a13 SEER min. I am not familiar with Westinghouse units, but the installer is the most important thing.

Advertisement

didn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I disagree the A/C will not make any difference to house value. You will be able to get parts for 10 seer for many years to come. It will also be just as reliable as the now 13 seer just not as efficient (really theres not a lot in it), but the cost of the units is a difference of about $400, as for the brand well several brands belong to one company, like trane, lennox and arco are made by same company. I take it this is also a heat pump not just ac.

Last edited by lxdollarsxl; 04-22-2006 at 01:17 AM.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxdollarsxl
I disagree the A/C will not make any difference to house value. You will be able to get parts for 10 seer for many years to come. It will also be just as reliable as the now 13 seer just not as efficient (really theres not a lot in it), but the cost of the units is a difference of about $400, as for the brand well several brands belong to one company, like trane, lennox and arco are made by same company. I take it this is also a heat pump not just ac.
I am looking to a 10 seer replacement coil now and can not find one, the new coils are all taller and do not fit in the old case.... there are a lot of reasons to buy at least a 13 SEER. But it is your choice.
didn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

you can order a coil to fit through your supplier - they just dont stop making parts because they changed units. The makers of these units will confirm this is you ask - having already contacted the makers of mine i know this is correct.
lxdollarsxl is offline   Reply With Quote