Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for Antique Furnace parts

I posted about this before but now I am actively looking for a Bryant model 94&97 conversion burner (part #24264c) or any other brand gas conversion burner of similar capacity. It is at the point where if I can't find the replacement part in the photo below, I'll need to replace the entire furnace. It is actually working well right now but it heats 5 apartments and I don't want any mid-winter break downs. Believe it or not, the thing is cheap to run and would take 18 years to pay off the replacement furnace. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for Antique Furnace parts-img_20121204_123345.jpg  

Last edited by IDIMyself; 02-02-2013 at 10:33 AM.
IDIMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIMyself View Post
It is at the point where if I can't find the replacement part in the photo below...
Which part of it is bad? Unless the failure is a casting...
I see several separate controls and components in that picture all of which should be able to be worked around (somehow or another)

More detail on the item
http://www.findthatpdf.com/search-31...9094d1.pdf.htm

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Hello!
Actually, none of the parts is broken right now. It is working but it wasn't working perfectly about a month ago. When the pilot ignited it made a big boom sound so I had a furnace person come and all he did was vacuum it out. He said that they don't make parts for this anymore and I should consider getting a new furnace. BTW this is the first time it has given me any problems in 11 years and it's from 1948. Then I was thinking that this thing runs so well, is so quiet and so cheap to run ($1900 a year for a 3500s/f 3 story brick from 1860 with new windows) that maybe i could find a replacement conversion burner instead of replacing the entire unit. It has a huge air circulating fan on it that I oil religiously. That's why I posted... I'm looking for a spare conversion burner (the thing on the outside and the pipe on the inside where the pilot light is) in case this one goes bad. I can't believe that they don't make new ones with the safety features on it. Any ideas?
Thank you very much!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

The last new conversion burner I put in was in about 1982 and they stopped making them shortly after. There is NO demand for them and some critical parts/pieces are obsolete. The gas co used to fix the old monsters here and had a few old parts but now they don't and we are literally changing a lot of hot water boilers and telling people to do so as there are no more conversion burners. Or they take the chance of getting that bad news on a Sunday morning and we cannot heat these hundred yr old homes with space heaters as the circuits overload etc. You mentioned you have 5 apartments. If you have tenants then I would be VERY VERY concerned about liability if that old units goes BOOM like before and starts producing Carbon Monoxide or spilling it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Well, I guess all good things come to an end. When I see these 2-10 year warranties I feel sick thinking of all the costs down the road. I'm not totally ready to give up on finding some replacement parts but I'll call the bank to get out a loan in case I have to pay for the new one right away.

In 1999 I had the burner replaced on my old oil burner/ boiler with a new one that looked very similar to the one in the photo. That's why I thought I could find one.

It just breaks my heart to replace it. It's been very good to our family.

thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

oil burners are easily replaceable as there are millions of them in use in the US and Alaska and Northern and Eastern Canada so there is a demand for them. No demand for conversion burners so nobody makes them.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Carlin, Beckett, and Reillo make gas conversion burners. But they aren't cheap.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

I wonder if a specialized machine shop could make one for me and put some safety features in it too? Know anyone?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Doubt any would take on the liability. It would be a non UL approved device. And as such they would be liable if it ever did any harm or damage, even 15 years down the road.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #10

Yes, you're right...I better start getting some more estimates. I just can't believe how expensive this is going to be. One guy gave me a price of $7900 for a Trane 90xb (or something like that). The unit only costs $1700 so the rest is for installation and re-routing the ductwork. I just had a brand new boiler put in another house for $2800! I'm in sticker shock!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Carlin, Beckett, and Reillo make gas conversion burners. But they aren't cheap.

Yeah I know, but they are fan assisted power burners rather than your basic atmospheric natural draft type that she has and most people had. And VERY expensive and there are only a few very expensive highly skilled class A gas fitters that I know who are skilled enough to install and setup one of them.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Part of the Clover Leaf

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIMyself View Post
I wonder if a specialized machine shop could make one for me
and put some safety features in it too? Know anyone?
First identify what you currently have.
Break that down by component and component function.

What I'm seeing...
Casting items (burner?)
Sheet metal items (housing, bracketc etc)
Fan (squirrel cage?) with motor
Pressure regulator
Pilot safety valve (with thermocouple)
Operating valve

Know what you have and their operating characteristics.
Research current production functional replacements for each.
Start accumulating bits.

Of note: Above all the burner and control items you still have a 65 year old heat exchanger.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

I forgot about the heat exchanger... and it's older than 65 because it's a converted coal furnace. It was converted to gas in 1948. I feel the fight to rehab this furnace draining out of me. It's like my 18 y/o Ford... I keep swearing I'm going to stop fixing it but I just put $560 into it and one day the chassis will crack and I'll regret all the money I put in it. I had the heat exchanger crack on another furnace and it was only 20 y/o so I've been very lucky with "Gargantua,"
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

One of the modern fan assisted power conversion burners won't fit your unit as the burner ( former coal stoker opening ) is too low to the floor plus a whole host of other technical reasons. Nobody I know of would want to assume any liability to do that job. There are some desperadoes out there looking for work who don't care about liabilty or take out permits/have inspections done or follow codes but I doubt you want to deal with them. Those burners are good for mid to larger sized boilers. I had a 1989 Blazer up till 2011 with the original radiator and cheap as I am finally decided to replace it B4 it burst in the middle of nowhere and I would have to pay a tow truck more than it was worth for scrap metal. Old brake lines and other safety concerns for my young nephews ( myself I couldn't care too much about ) finally convinced me to donate it to the kidney foundation for scrap. Safety is a big concern especially if you have tenants and the cast heat exchangers on some of those will split or seperate etc. Bought a real nice Ford Escape when they had that Ford employee pricing event which is NO gimmick.

Last edited by yuri; 02-03-2013 at 12:27 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote