Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install

After almost a months worth of working on this after work and on the weekends I am almost done. Considering this is the first time I have attempted any household HVAC project it turned out very well. I would have to say there was a lot more work then I thought. Everthing from the gas line,electric, ducting, etc had to be installed because the house previously had a floor heater which I also removed and filled in the wall and floor. I still need to change the drip leg and run my AC and secondary drain lines plus install the condensor and linset before summer. The furnace works great and is very quiet. Thanks to all of you who answered all my questions. Below you can see some of the progess of my work. Im sure there will be comments good and bad. Any Idea what it would have cost me to install this setup. Trane XR90 60,000 BTU with 3 ton coil. I live in southern california. I think I am into it about 2,800$ but I still need the lineset and coil
Attached Thumbnails
A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1793.jpg   A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1794.jpg   A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1795.jpg   A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1798.jpg   A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1807.jpg  

A long DIY project coming to an end. Furnace Install-dscn1812.jpg  

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Why does it look like you have a pipe running through your return duct near the furnace(first pic).
Should have stretched youor flex ducts more.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Why does it look like you have a pipe running through your return duct near the furnace(first pic).
Should have stretched youor flex ducts more.
It isn't running through, just looks like it. Thats the fresh air inlet line and it takes a 90 degree turn right at the furnace.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Thats one fine piece of work! You should be proud of your accomplishment! And if you ever need another line of work.... well I think you would pass. Now lets work on that install time (joke)
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hartkem I don't know if you know it or not but this same post you put on 'The Wall Of Pride" over at H-Talk is taking a pounding. Them guys are brutal on technical detail.

Word of caution to all our members here: Unless you got really thick skin i would avoid that place as a DIYer unless you are just asking for advice.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

I think it looks good for a diy install, but you really didn't follow the advice of professionals. When I say it looks good, I mean it appears that you put a lot of effort into it and just didn't slap it together. There are some things that a professional would have never done. The cinder blocks under the air handler is one of them. If a service tech or home inspector sees the unit, he/she will know instantly it wasn't installed by a professional. I think it is a good idea that you are going to change the gas line. The duct work is not done properly either. It should have been sized properly including reducing the main trunk line as required. It also looks like you just tapped into the return with flex. I'm not trying to bash your install. I'm just pointing out things that were done incorrectly or outside of the standards of the trade.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I think it looks good for a diy install, but you really didn't follow the advice of professionals. When I say it looks good, I mean it appears that you put a lot of effort into it and just didn't slap it together. There are some things that a professional would have never done. The cinder blocks under the air handler is one of them. If a service tech or home inspector sees the unit, he/she will know instantly it wasn't installed by a professional. I think it is a good idea that you are going to change the gas line. The duct work is not done properly either. It should have been sized properly including reducing the main trunk line as required. It also looks like you just tapped into the return with flex. I'm not trying to bash your install. I'm just pointing out things that were done incorrectly or outside of the standards of the trade.
Bluefitness' post is pretty much what is being said at the other site I mentioned, but a lot less polite.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I have seen many very experienced "pros" install systems that look alot worse than yours. Sure there is always gonna be "something you could have done here or i would have done this there" but it looks like you did a pretty good job for someone who is not in the field. You should be happy.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I have seen many very experienced "pros" install systems that look alot worse than yours. Sure there is always gonna be "something you could have done here or i would have done this there" but it looks like you did a pretty good job for someone who is not in the field. You should be happy.
They might look worse (aesthetically), but if they are true professionals, the duct work, gas piping, etc. needs to be sized properly and done correctly. He definitely did a good job as far as the work/labor goes. It is the design I have a problem with.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Bluefitness you are 100% correct there are def. things that would improve this setup i am just saying for a homeowner not so bad. I am always surprised how many people are willing to take on hvac projects on their own. I have been in the field for awhile surely not as long as some of you fellas and i think you have to know alot about many different fields to be competent (plumbing, electrical, construction) and most people wouldnt take on projects in those fields so why HVAC????

Last edited by burr; 11-30-2008 at 08:21 PM.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
They might look worse (aesthetically), but if they are true professionals, the duct work, gas piping, etc. needs to be sized properly and done correctly. He definitely did a good job as far as the work/labor goes. It is the design I have a problem with.
Nobody is picking on the OP. It DOES look ok. But The Pro attitude is simply that there are a lot of things that are problematic with the size of materials used and the lay out and alot of the practices employed.
You announce here on a DIY site that you are installing your own furnace and post the pics is one thing, but why on Earth you would post them at at pro site where the guys are so good they can spot a DIY job just does not make sense.They beat the hell out out of the OP when he said "Not bad for my first install".
What was the OP hoping for, professional approval?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartkem View Post
It isn't running through, just looks like it. Thats the fresh air inlet line and it takes a 90 degree turn right at the furnace.
Is that round flex, connected directly to the furnace.
If so, it doesn't give you good air flow.
If you have temp delta issues later.
You may want to put a square/rectangle to round transition on, to improve return air flow.
Connecting round to it like that, creates a lot of turbulance.
Probably gives you about a 100 to 150' equivalent length on that connection alone.

Just something to thing about.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #13

You probaly saved atleast a grand..

I just installed my gas furnace myself(was oil).

I had a couple installers come in to give quotes..They basically told me I could do it myself..

I was quoted $3000 for furnace install..My guess is that it would have been a little more when it was all said and done.
I put about $1500 into it. Plus about 30 hours or so of my time.

They wanted $2000 just for a new water heater. Got one for $330 at Lowes. Just took an afternoon to get that in..

Lots of money to be saved if you're mechanically inclined and can read instructions.

Last edited by Tommy2; 12-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2 View Post

I had a couple installers come in to give quotes..They basically told me I could do it myself..

I was quoted $3000 for furnace install..My guess is that it would have been a little more when it was all said and done.

They wanted $2000 just for a new water heater. Got one for $330 at Lowes. Just took an afternoon to get that in..

Lots of money to be saved if you're mechanically inclined and can read instructions.

Just an FYI. If you do your own install pull a homeowner's permit. Your homeowner's insurance is void if you don't. Than all the money you saved won't make a bit of diff. if something, God Forbid, goes wrong.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy2 View Post

When he is finished, he will have saved a lot more than that. He did a complete cut-in, where as you did a change out. A cut-in involves every thing from running electrical to the panel to doing the duct work. A change out about a day to complete, while a cut-in can take 2-4 days to complete.