Long Delay For Valve Open - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Long delay for valve open

I go to a thermostat , and turn it up. I go downtairs to look at the Taco controller.

The light is on for thermostat. It will take fully one minute for the light to come on for zone valve open.

Why the delay? Is there a setting in the Taco controller I can change? When they did the install, the technician went around to my Honeywell round style thermostats, and moved the little slider inside on the bottom all the way to the left...not sure if that did anything or not.

Thank you.

Advertisement

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
jkv

Rewards Points: 75

Your stat has a built in delay, that gives your pressures time to equalize when the unit shuts down. You can adjust the delay if it is adjustable but you will be better off not trying. Some delays are set up to 5 min.

Advertisement

jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv View Post
Your stat has a built in delay, that gives your pressures time to equalize when the unit shuts down. You can adjust the delay if it is adjustable but you will be better off not trying. Some delays are set up to 5 min.
This is a hydronic system, not a refrigerant system.

the delay is the valve opening. If it were to slam open and shut it would make noise all through the heating system pipes and all through the house. The delay is a good thing. it is a slow opening valve and that is how it should be.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
jkv

Rewards Points: 75

oops though it was refrig. guess I need to read closer
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv View Post
oops though it was refrig. guess I need to read closer

"I rest my case, your Honor."
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

check the amp rating on the valve info that brass slide on the round stat is the anticipator should be at the valve amp rating usually .** something or a little more. the opening time on the actual valve could be just the action of the motor they are slow and easy when opening like watching water boiling
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! I guess I was just used to my old system, where thermostat calls, and maybe two seconds later, valve opens. When the valve on the old system closes, you hear sort of a whine if you near the boiler, so maybe that is it's way of shutting slowly.

Thanks again! I will also check the anticipator setting.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

maybe the old ones were like a solinoid drop type but most are almost as a watch gear turns even in commmercial heating i have seen the 24V motor covers off and it is slow with a gate ot flapper valve moving...that anticipator is more for the off cycle coming around to setpoint....if yo removed the stat and jumped the R to W it probably would drive the same speed....it's the valve not you
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #9
REP

Rewards Points: 500

If the controler is a Taco I guess that you have Taco zone valves.When 24v is sent to the valve it slowly heats up an e4xpansion medium i.e. wax which slowly opens the valve.This is for noise control and so that the piping dosen't experience system shock (vibration) which could cause leaks over a period of years.
Its good to see your system is working as designed.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #10

It could also be that my old system uses Honeywell zone valves, they have a metal cover, and they appear to drive a gear to open and close the valve.
My new system uses Taco valves. They sit straight up on the pipe and have what looks like a vented top. I think they are the 570 series.

For awhile, I couldn't figure out what was going on with my main floor. Turn up the stat, and heat would flow to HALF the registers on the floor. The other half stayed stone cold. Uh-oh, I'm thinking...I either have a pipe that is disconnected, or valve somewhere that is shut off, and with closed ceilings and all, this won't be pretty! Went downstairs, felt the return pipe at the boiler, steaming hot! Turned out that this zone sends out one pipe, at some point it splits, and two returns funnel into the one return pipe. A valve that is open and closed with a screwdriver was closed....so you can see i've been having fun!

Thanks everyone, it is great to have the heat flowing!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,482

It takes a minute or 2 for those tacos to open. There is no motor in them. they use a heater to heat a thick fluid/paste, which as it heats up and expands, it pushes the plunger down and opens the valve. And the anticipator should be set to 1.2 amp.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote