Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Lockout on Carrier 58mxb

I have a 2 year old carrier comfort 92. I keep getting error code 34 lockout intermittently throughout the day and night. Works fine for a few days or hours, then have to reset by turning off power. Replaced the gas valve yesterday with no luck. Contacted dealer who says the heat sensor is fine (or I would get a different code) (I pulled it out and it looks fine, did not test) and the ignitor is good (can see the glow). I hear the fan start, see the glow, hear the click of the gas valve then nothing. We are at 6800 feet which I hear can be a problem. Furnance is level. Thought it may be problem with gas regulator outside but pilot light on gas fireplace is on constantly with no problems. Heard I need to bend the ignitor closer to the gas? Any more ideas?

adam2blpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
BIGRED

Lockout on Carrier 58mxb

Does the gas pilot on the fire place shrink or go out when the furnace trys to start? Have the gas company check the gas pressure on the house side of your meter. Around here in Illinois a residential home should have 1/2 P.S.I. or about 13 in. of water column. At 6800' A.S.L. they may have to raise you up a bit, especially if there has been building in your area in the last year or so.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #3

Lockout on Carrier 58mxb

The light stays on for about ten seconds then goes out. I do not notice it dimming or changing any.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
BIGRED

Lockout on Carrier 58mxb

Check with your gas company and DO NOT try to bend your ignitor if it is a glow plug. It is very fragile and even the oils on your skin will make it burn out quickly.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #5

Lockout on Carrier 58mxb

Gas company came and increased pressure and replaced regulator (wasn't bad but installed bigger one just in case). Everybody agreed we had it fixed but we continue to get lockouts. Three in the past week. Never lights on first attempt. Going to have to pay the extra money and replace the entire unit. What a shame