Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Lobb WA-1 Leaking around reservoir pan

Hello,
Just moved into my fiance's home. Things are getting dry as it's that time of the season. When I looked at her humidifier I saw the saddle valve was shut of. The float assembly was shot. Pulled the rest apart and cleaned it up. Placed drum and filter in a 5 gal bucket of CLR and picked at it till it was clean - well 90% clean. Replaced the whole float assembly. Also noticed years of mineral build up running down between the Lobb and duct. After a couple cycles I could see the filter was rubbing on the "hub axle holding rod" on the outlet side. This is where the water was "squeeging" off the filter and running down the outside. No problem right - I cut an inch off so nothing is touching. And sure - nothing is running outside. Now the darn thing is dripping in 3 places from the underside of the reservoir!!!! Pull the top of and watch it cycle and all looks fine. No water above the pan liner. Is someone going to tell me the clips holding the res on are not tight. So the air pressure is carrying water out with it..... Can I just silicone the darn thing... Sorry so long. Just wanted to see if cutting the filter messed something up and why I did it. Do the filters stretch or somebody ordered the wrong one? Thanks fella's. Thing's ya think are going to be the easy ones......ARG! lol

mikefrommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
REP

Altering a factory design is very rarely a good practice.It sounds like it is very old and newer ones are cheaper to keep up and easier to do service on.
Here is just a personal choice of mine,When I install a humidifier ,I always put a tee in then a 1/2 inch valve I.E. ball valve Then in the valve I put a 1/2 incert with a 1/4 inch female thread.To this I screw in a brass 1/4 male x 1/4 copression fitting for the copper line.I can't tell you the wet problems I've encountered in my life when only that cheap saddle valve is used.It might cost 6-10 dollars more that way but nobody has to worry about shutting the water off to the humidifier ever again.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Save yourself a lot of grief and get a new flow through type humidifier. Nothing to clean, just replace the water panel media once a year. No muss no fuss, no more science projects growing in your HVAC system. Aprilaire makes powered ones like this or cheaper bypass models that all use the same flow through design.

http://www.amazon.com/Aprilaire-700-...ata/B004PDGMCS
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Altering a factory design is very rarely a good practice.It sounds like it is very old and newer ones are cheaper to keep up and easier to do service on.
Here is just a personal choice of mine,When I install a humidifier ,I always put a tee in then a 1/2 inch valve I.E. ball valve Then in the valve I put a 1/2 incert with a 1/4 inch female thread.To this I screw in a brass 1/4 male x 1/4 copression fitting for the copper line.I can't tell you the wet problems I've encountered in my life when only that cheap saddle valve is used.It might cost 6-10 dollars more that way but nobody has to worry about shutting the water off to the humidifier ever again.
Hi, I don't believe the saddle valves are even code here. But I'm not having issues with the valve or new float assy. At least that I can see. I did notice that when the float valve was wide open (after cleaning the res) that some of the water sprayed behind the pan while it was filling. But nothing appears to be up by the top of the res pan. I'm about to silicone the darn thing up. If that works I'll cut a gasket when I shut it down next year. I'll keep things posted.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

I would recommend an aprilaire flow thru......
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
I second that the only way to properly hook up, humidifiers, icemachines, hot water dispensers, dishwashers, BAN saddle valves.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #7

Mine has been running fine on a saddle valve for 7 years except for an odd drip or 2... but I have never really liked the concept. I am putting in a new water heater next week so when the system is empty I am going to take you and REP's advice and lose the saddle valve. I'll put in a T somewhere and a proper isolation valve... probably a ball valve.

Reading the OP's story harked me back to when I had one of those reservoir/drum/float valve humidifiers. Oh, the horror... Oh, the humanity!!! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
I second that the only way to properly hook up, humidifiers, icemachines, hot water dispensers, dishwashers, BAN saddle valves.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #8

Aprilaire would seem to be the way to go for replacement. The water was coming from one of the two holes under one of the clips holding the res. pan. I hit it with a finger full of silicone. It's working fine now. When it comes time to service next I'll just replace it.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrommi View Post
Aprilaire would seem to be the way to go for replacement. The water was coming from one of the two holes under one of the clips holding the res. pan. I hit it with a finger full of silicone. It's working fine now. When it comes time to service next I'll just replace it.
Just an update.... I siliconed the whole lower side of the res. It stopped the leaking. A week later I noticed the res pan now floating up from the new water valve allowing water to get down between the pan and res housing (probably the leaking problem too). This would then lift the whole pan into the float assembly and rub on the media..... Man....Really!!!! What a POS!

To boot..... the new plastic valve now has an issue. I can pull it out and put it to my mouth and the valve works fine. I install it back in and apply water pressure and the float won't seat the valve 100% and it sets and trickles water out. When I use my hand to help the float I can feel the valve assemble fight the "seat" so to say. It feels like I'm pushing the "seating pin" into a sleeve that's tight. Uninstalled I get none of this. Just simple open/close. I know..... just turn the saddle down till there's barely any pressure- right? No can do.... Just a couple turns out and the damn thing still drips till over-flows.....

Ya know! I just had the use my back-hoe to replace a faulty pit-less adapter in my well. It was easier to fix than this damn thing! Sheeze!!! A stupid water valve and tank..... are you kidding me!!!! Raylo32 hits it right on the head.... As an accomplished engineer this thing has me on my knees... I'm only updating this to let anyone else know to RIP THIS DAMN THING OUT and just replace it with the Aprilaire ASAP. If the damn unit doesn't drive you crazy with the leaking - the new cheap POS water valve will be right behind. BTW.... When I installed that valve new it was fine with the saddle wide open even though I walked away with it turned to about half. I've done enough hydraulic circuits to know my mouth can't produce near the psi of the water... but really... just a couple months and the new valve doesn't want to work.

It's all JUNK people!!!!! Just get the new Aprilaire and move on!!!!!

I know ben's plumbing & Coldiron......:laugh ing:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

LOL, LOL, LOL, I've been in the business for over forty years and worked on , installed, I don't know how many Humidifiers.

Guess what? I have a portable table top Humidifier I wouldn't even own one that's what I think of Humidifiers. They all suck I don't care what anybody says, nothing but trouble, cleaning, clogging up, rusting out ductwork and heaters, solenoid valves sticking, pads all full of crap, Humidistat's not working, not worth it to me anyway.

It's like money in the bank for Company's.

PS Piercing valves suck....

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote