Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Loading up with water

Hi, my furnace is filling up with water and locking itself out. It is draining out to the floor drain but I have to take the ("collection reservoir" It has 3 hoses going in the top and one out the bottom) Off and manually empty it when it locks itself out. Lately I've just been taking the pressure switch off and empty it which also fills up with water, this seems to make it work for a few days then I have to do it again. I'm not very familiar with this stuff just learning as I go. I have taken every hose off and made sure there's no blockage. Thank you for the help

Cr250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Loading up with water

electric air handler or gas furnace or what? high efficiency or no? p-trap.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Loading up with water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
electric air handler or gas furnace or what? high efficiency or no? p-trap.
It is gas, high efficient. Not sure about trap
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Loading up with water

Put up some pictures will you? Take off the panels and shoot some pictures, then post them. The "Collection Box" is probably the trap and it is probably full of crap, flies, muck and the like. Take the drain hoses off. Take the trap off. Fill the laundry sink with hot water put in dish detergent and bleach and submerge the hoses and the trap for 20 minutes or so, then run water through all hoses and trap. Make sure all condensate lines are clear and clean them also. How does your system get rid of the condensate? Condensate pump or does it drain through the floor?

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Loading up with water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Put up some pictures will you? Take off the panels and shoot some pictures, then post them. The "Collection Box" is probably the trap and it is probably full of crap, flies, muck and the like. Take the drain hoses off. Take the trap off. Fill the laundry sink with hot water put in dish detergent and bleach and submerge the hoses and the trap for 20 minutes or so, then run water through all hoses and trap. Make sure all condensate lines are clear and clean them also. How does your system get rid of the condensate? Condensate pump or does it drain through the floor?
They can really get full of a bunch of stuff in a short while. Slimy and gross...
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Loading up with water

Jagans: I've already done everything you've mentioned a month or so ago. It seemed to help for a while now back to doing it. If I take the pressure switch off I can get about 1/4 to 1/2 oz out of it every time then it'll work for a few days. It drains out of the bottom into floor drain. But it still drains just seems to be building an excessive amount.....
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #7

Loading up with water

Loading up with water-image-419613211.jpg

Loading up with water-image-4189697347.jpg
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Loading up with water

R U getting water in the pressure switch below the silver burner box? That should be next to impossible. The only way I could C that happening is if you are recirculating the exhaust back into the intake and for some strange reason enough of it is condensing at the bottom of the box and draining into the tube for the pressure switch. Check your vent pipes and make sure there is no snow or other reason the exhaust could B recirculating. If you have a concentric vent kit then let me know as there could be another scenario. How old is that furnace and what is the brand name and model#. Concentric looks like this
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Loading up with water

You cleaned out the black cylindrical trap and all the hoses going to it by removal and soaking? And did you blow clear the 3 inch PVC lines? Maybe a bird built a nest in one of those? That insulated? line that comes off the black cylinder (Trap) is your condensate drain. That is free and clear?

The pressure switch should never have water in it, so you really are flooding this furnace out with condensate. You dont have a humidifier thats gone rogue do you?

By the way, how old is that furnace, and when is the last time it was serviced? Trap in yellow box.
Attached Thumbnails
Loading up with water-doc1.jpg  

Last edited by jagans; 03-18-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Loading up with water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans
You cleaned out the black cylindrical trap and all the hoses going to it by removal and soaking? And did you blow clear the 3 inch PVC lines? Maybe a bird built a nest in one of those? That insulated? line that comes off the black cylinder (Trap) is your condensate drain. That is free and clear?

The pressure switch should never have water in it, so you really are flooding this furnace out with condensate. You dont have a humidifier thats gone rogue do you?

By the way, how old is that furnace, and when is the last time it was serviced? Trap in yellow box.
Yes I soaked and cleaned. It will work for awhile but will fill back up in a month or so. I thought the vents may have been iced up some kind of blockage but it has been fairly nice lately, plus I ran my snake down them and never hit anything. How do I blow them out? Only way I can see would be to cut them and put a collar back when done. All the lines are clear it drains but is building water like I said in pressure switch, yes the one below the burner box. No humidifier. Had repair man up after I did the cleaning for the 1st time he did the exact same thing as me but charged $80 and it didn't work. Then he came back when my wife was here and reversed polarity? Not sure how that would help water not to build. I told him pressure switched had water in it and he wasn't concerned at all. Must me time to get and new repairman......last thing he told me was if the polarity didnt work he would come back and change the board for $250 plus labor. Again how would hat solve the problem? Not sure on year, but it's serviced or at least look over every year.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
registered

Loading up with water

I"m glad my boiler isn't high efficiency boiler. Just to much crap on them which can go wrong.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Loading up with water

Which hose is getting water in it, the hose from the burner box, or the hose from the inducer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Loading up with water

The trap is supposed to fill up, then drain out once it hits the weir level of the outlet. Your outlet pipe is clogged further along down the line. Probably black algae.

Tags
furnace draining problem, gas furnace, pressure switch