Little To No Heat Making It Upstairs Bedrooms - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Little to no heat making it upstairs bedrooms

Hi guys,

I have a single stage furnace in a bunglo style house with knee walls and slanted ceilings upstairs. Insulation has been updated. My question is why is the down stairs vents receiving more heat than the two bedrooms upstairs. I get little to no air coming through the upstairs vents.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

Advertisement

asumey1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by asumey1016 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a single stage furnace in a bunglo style house with knee walls and slanted ceilings upstairs. Insulation has been updated. My question is why is the down stairs vents receiving more heat than the two bedrooms upstairs. I get little to no air coming through the upstairs vents.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

Air travels to and through the easiest path, least resistance. I'm betting your furnace is in the basement..?

Correct duct sizing and dampers help. One thing you can do is up the speed of the motor in heating mode. Usually low speed is heating and high speed is cooling. Unused would be medium low to medium high if you have a four speed tap. Yes, this still counts as a single stage, but it has different speeds.

With highering the rpm of the motor in heating mode you will get more air movement but the air coming out will not be as hot, granted it will be very warm. In conclusion, if it turns out that in heating mode you are using low speed, I'd up it to medium low and not any higher, if it gets really cold where you are.

Good luck.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. I also didn't add that there is no cold air return upstair. When u walk up the stairs and reach the same level as the dowstair ceiling, you feel a noticable difference in temp. winter or summer. I think there needs to be a cold air return installed. What do you think?
asumey1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Heat rises so during Winter it'd be a warm air return.

The good thing about the return side of a/c is you can never have too much so adding one or twenty one will not harm the supply air in any way. Just try and install it/them in a place where it won't suck up the supply air.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote