Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Little help with potential slugging issue

I installed a used 2.5T system about 2.5 yrs ago. Still does great and pulls about a 20 degree delta across the A coil on warm days. Scroll sounds just fine on warm days. However, the AC is required on some cool evenings due to poor airflow in the home. Seems that much under 55* and the scroll really does not like it. The noise will get better the longer it runs so I usually manually drop the thermostat to a couple degrees cooler than desired and turn it off for the evening.

I am pretty sure this is a slugging issue but want to confirm and determine a way to correct this. I have not touched the system since installed and wondering about a slight overcharge on the system. I run the blower at 100% with no restriction concerns. I have disabled the condenser fan before during cool operation and did not seem to help.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,698

Probably is slugging. A/Cs aren't actually designed to be used for cooling when its that cool outside. And weather or not over charged, slugging can occur at that low of an outdoor temp. An economizer would work better and be cheaper to operate.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
plummen (04-25-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

I have not seen one in action locally and curious how that is typically tied in with a typical AC system? I guess more curious how the ducting and thermos are setup so only one runs at a time. I also notice that they seem to directly duct outside air to the home with no exchange (non really needed) and wondering if there is usually a filter system built in or if these supplement the main air handler?
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,698

Arzel and EWC both have add on economizers for residential installation. The economizer intercepts the call for cooling, and determines if its cool enough outside to use the economizer.

A filter can be added, but often one is not added just for it, as the damper only opens when the thermostat is calling so the fan is running, so all the air is filtered by the normal filter.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

ask your local HVAC rep about a low ambient kit or a head pressure controller, which ever applies to your unit. Easiest way is to open the window.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote