Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Share |

lint/dust from furnace

Hi All
I have a Quincy consolidated industries heater in my atic nineteen years old, it has the honeywell smart valve and honeywell fan timer i replaced them twice over the past five years years. Thought i would mention that first..so i have a lint type dust on the furniture coming from the heater vents, noticed on the dining room table after a few days..and dust on the wood floor, it looks like the lint from the washing machine/dryer?.that exhaust pipe from the drier is ok it goes to the roof. I replace the intake air filter often, it does get dirty after two months filtering, i have been up the atic and the duct pipes look ok..or am i missing something up there ..

uksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

lint/dust from furnace

The lint/dust/dirt is NOT coming from your furnace, it is being re-circulated by your furnace. It is coming from your home............i am sorry but thats just the cold hard facts.......I have had to break this same news to hundreds of people over the years. Things such as carpet fibers, pet dander, by products of doing laundry and just moving about stir these things up and the furnace return picks them up and scatters them about.

dosy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dosy777 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
how

lint/dust from furnace

If the dryer out let is on the roof, where is the fresh air intake for your furnace in the attic? Are you recycling dryer lint?
My clients with the dustiest homes are usually those with the driest air where drapes, upolstery, carpets, insulation, fabric and the like break down. Animals add there own. Kids likewise. Gravel roads nearby.etc.

My clients on the reserves often have the lowest dust levels because of very leaky homes that keep the humidity high all the time. Furnace filters that look a month old after a years use.
Your furnace is only an air mover and while it doesn't directly create it's own dust, it can create the dry house conditions that can make the dust.

Last edited by how; 02-16-2012 at 12:34 AM.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Part of the Clover Leaf

lint/dust from furnace

Stefanyshyn v. Consolidated Industries
Tippecanoe County Superior Court
For the State of Indiana
Case No. 79 D 01-9712-CT-59

English | EspaŮol
If you own or owned (or have claims regarding) a residential furnace, you could get a payment or other benefits from a class action settlement. A court authorized this website. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

UPDATE: To obtain information regarding The Home Depot rebate program, please click here.
UPDATE: As mentioned on this web site and elsewhere, the potential benefits available under the class action settlement depend, in part, on the availability of funds from the Consolidated bankruptcy estate. On February 6, 2009, the bankruptcy trustee for Consolidated entered into a settlement with Enodis Corporation and related persons and entities for $69.5 million plus interest until such amount is paid in full. To obtain a copy of the notice of motion and opportunity to object to the trustee's motion to approve the Enodis settlement, which could affect your rights, please click here. Timely objections must be received by the bankruptcy court and by counsel by no later than March 5, 2009. If the bankruptcy court approves the Enodis settlement, it is likely that a portion of the proceeds will be available to fund the potential benefits under the class action settlement described on this web site.
A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit regarding furnaces manufactured by Consolidated Industries Corp. ("Consolidated") prior to January 1, 2001. Most, if not all, of the furnaces manufactured by Consolidated contain one or more defective parts, including the burner, heat exchanger, and/or expansion joints.
WARNING THE CONTINUED USE OF FURNACES COVERED BY THIS SETTLEMENT POSES A SERIOUS RISK OF FIRE AND/OR CARBON MONOXIDE LEAKS.
Prior to 2001, Consolidated manufactured furnaces under many different brand/trade names, including: ACPO, Addison, Air Star, Airco, Amana, American Best, American Standard, Arcoaire, Arkla, Armstrong, Bard, Carrier, Century, Climate Control, Comfort Aire, Coleman, Consolidated, Day & Night, Ducane, Duomatic-Olsen, Franklin Electric, Goettl, Goodman, GMC, Hamilton Electric, Heat Controller, Heatmaster, International Comfort Products, Janitrol, Johnstone, Keeprite, Kenmore, Lennox, Liberty, Magic Chef, Northrup, Olsen, Pameco-Aire, Payne, P.F.C., Premier, Sears, Square D, Sunbelt, Sunburst, Sundial, Sun Glow, Trane, Weatherking, York, and possibly others. If you have a furnace with any of these brand names, it might be covered by this settlement. However, many of these companies also manufacture their own line of furnaces, which are not part of this lawsuit and are not covered by this settlement.
If you have any questions about whether your furnace is covered by this settlement, please click here or call 1-888-286-8201. Your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act.
SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM The only way to get a payment or other benefits. A copy of the claim form can be downloaded here.
EXCLUDE YOURSELF Get no payment or other benefits. This is the only option that allows you to ever be part of any other lawsuit against Consolidated or anyone else about the legal claims in this case. For more information on excluding yourself from the settlement, click here.
OBJECT Write to the Court about why you do not like the settlement. For more information on objecting to the settlement, click here.
GO TO A HEARING Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the settlement. For details on the Fairness Hearing and how to attend, please click here.
DO NOTHING Get no payment or other benefits. Give up rights.

Important Dates

Opt Out Deadline: March 19, 2009 Objection Deadline: March 19, 2009 Fairness Hearing: March 26, 2009 Claim Filing Deadline: August 1, 2009 Rebate Deadline: February 1, 2012

© 2009 Epiq Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Part of the Clover Leaf

lint/dust from furnace

Related Articles | Models Affected | Pictures | Find a Dealer
PREMIER/CONSOLIDATED FURNACES PRESENT A SUBSTANTIAL RISK OF FIRE: Latest fire occurred December 25, 2001. Click here to read Orange County Register article.
If you have a house that was built between 1983 and 1995 and the furnace is in the attic, there is a very good chance that Consolidated Industries manufactured this furnace. They were sold through many different brand names but most of the furnaces were manufactured under the Premier and Consolidated labels.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, these furnaces present a substantial risk of fire. As of June 2001, there have been about 50 reports of fires and damage to homes associated with these furnaces as well as failures of burners and heat exchangers that can lead to fires.
BACKGROUND: In 1983, the Southern California Air Quality Board put into effect a regulation on nitrous oxide emissions. Premier/Consolidated Industries produced the least expensive horizontal furnaces that met these requirements. Approximately 190,000 of these furnaces were sold between 1983 and 1994. What Consolidated did to meet the nitrous oxide requirements was equip their furnaces with steel control rods installed above the burners. In some cases these steel rods cause the burners to overheat and crack the burner box, igniting flames outside the furnace and igniting combustible materials outside the furnace.
These furnaces were only produced to meet California's nox-requirements. Furnaces produced for other states were not affected.
WHAT CAN I DO? - You may be entitled to a free furnace from the manufacturer or the company that name-branded the product. Click here for more information.
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO REPLACE THE FURNACE? Nearly all Major Contractors have financing plans where you can pay as little as 2% of the cost of the furnace and installation per month with no money down. Since the cost of replacing the furnace with a standard efficiency furnace will be between $2000 & $3000 that means your monthly outlay will be only $40 to $60 per month. If you put in a High efficiency furnace your savings in operating cost may be enough to actually make the payment and you may be eligible for a $300.00 rebate from the Gas Company
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME IN THE FUTURE? Buy your heating equipment from a well-known, well-financed manufacturer. Make sure that product is actually manufactured by that manufacturer and just not name branded by the manufacturer. (Manufactured by another company, but nameplate or sticker showing the major manufacturer) When purchasing a new home, ask the brand of the heating and air conditioning equipment. If you have never heard of the brand, ask the builder to substitute a well-known, well-financed brand of heating and air conditioning equipment.
Since homeowners are replacing thousands of furnaces it may be several days or even weeks before you will be able to get your furnace inspected. In this case we recommend that you turn the gas off to the furnace at the gas valve, located near the furnace. If you have air conditioning this will allow you to continue to operate the air conditioning system, which uses the the furnace blower, safely. We also recommend that you immediately purchase a smoke detector and put it in the attic close to the furnace. Try the test button with another person in the house to make sure the alarm can be heard in the house especially in the bedrooms.
When you have your furnace replaced make sure you keep the nameplate and the brand label. You may also want to take a photo of the furnace, which includes the nameplate and the brand label. If there is any burn damage to supporting structures you will also want to take a photo of this damage. For certain models you may be entitled to $450.00 or a free furnace and free repair of any burn damage caused by the furnace. Click here for more information.
THE BRIGHT SIDE. Most of the Premier/Consolidated furnaces are over 10 years old and are nearing the end of their useful life. These furnaces compared to today's standard were not very efficient, both in electrical usage and in natural gas usage. There are furnaces that are available today that use only 40% of electrical energy that the Consolidated furnaces use and 20-30% less natural gas. With today's energy prices, the Consolidated furnace is a real energy waster and a new high efficiency furnace can be installed that can easily pay for it's total replacement cost through lower utility bills in 3-4 years.
LICENSED CONTRACTORS. To find a licensed contractor in your area click here.
RELATED ARTICLES - click here for news releases.
PICTURES - click here.

This website is not affiliated with Consolidated Industries
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

lint/dust from furnace

No wonder i have both of his screen names on my ignor-ant list........
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #7

lint/dust from furnace

Thanks hvac..think i am on my own here claims had to be made no later than Aug 2009
how...the air intake is in the living room, and the drier has a lint filter that we clean..on the rear of the drier is a exhaust pipe that goes to the roof, on the bottom of the pipe behind the drier, in the wall is a lint trap..that i keep clean.

Last edited by uksparky; 02-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
how

lint/dust from furnace

I assume you have a fresh air supply for your furnace which is seperate from the return air grill in the living room. The location of the fresh air supply inlet is important if it is in the prevailing wind direction downstream from the dryer outlet.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

lint/dust from furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
I assume you have a fresh air supply for your furnace which is seperate from the return air grill in the living room. The location of the fresh air supply inlet is important if it is in the prevailing wind direction downstream from the dryer outlet.
The only air intake is in the one room, .....fresh air for the furnace....the chimney/gas vent goes to the roof as does the vent for the drier, but the drier is only used once a week...no wind.. Ventilation louvers are in the attic so that is ok..could dust in the attic be getting in the furnace metal covers?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

lint/dust from furnace

I dont get it. Its not a new condensing furnace so what fresh air intake?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

lint/dust from furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I dont get it. Its not a new condensing furnace so what fresh air intake?
i am betting he means his return air grill
Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

lint/dust from furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post

Again I howl loudly into the wind on a cold Winter's night, what mutha fruiting fresh air intake on a 19 year old consolidated furnace? Is this a Canadian thing?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #13

lint/dust from furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Again I howl loudly into the wind on a cold Winter's night, what mutha fruiting fresh air intake on a 19 year old consolidated furnace? Is this a Canadian thing?
I guess one can only assume.....
Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
how

lint/dust from furnace

hey Doc!

My bad. It's my understanding that an attic that is within the building heat envelope that includes a furnace should have a designated fresh air supply. An attic that is outside of the building heat envelope that contains a furnace only requires enough ventilation to meet the manufactures recommendations.
It probably not so much a Canadian thing as living where property values get so over blown that attic space becomes too valuable not to develop.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf

lint/dust from furnace

You guys are giving advice on a furnace that was officially recalled.