Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Lining an Old Chimney

I have been wanting a wood stove for years, and finally found a good deal on craigslist. Got an older Appalachian stove for $50. It is designed as an "insert" and not a freestanding, do any of you think this will be a problem?

The mortar in the chimney is crumbling out, so I figured a liner would be the easiest solution. Can I just use the single wall pipe at Lowes that is ~$10 for a 2' section? How to connect the sections? Rivets? Screws? Tape? Does it need to be supported?

My house is 1800 sq ft. Should I use 6" or 8" pipe? ANy other input appreciated. I am attaching a picture of the stove.
Attached Images

Fisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #2

Lining an Old Chimney

ther a local codes and safety regulations in place to help with your install needless to say insurance issues as well ...I would not use single wall pipe this is a wood burnner. these get very hot most require at least double wall designed for it others requirer tripple stainless....not abig wood burnning fan ..hang tite some others will comment as well..ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Lining an Old Chimney

You may think you got a good deal until you see what the pipe and asserarys are going to cost you.
Your post said chimmney lining, do you already have a fireplace or at least a chimmney to connect this to, or is this a new install with nothing there?
An insert will not have a round piece to attach a pipe to, most do not even have feet to get it off the floor.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #4

Lining an Old Chimney

http://www.ventingpipe.com/selkirk-metalbest/c24
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Lining an Old Chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your post said chimmney lining, do you already have a fireplace or at least a chimmney to connect this to, or is this a new install with nothing there?

Well, how could I line a chimney, if I didn't have a chimney? Yes, I have a chimney, and like I said in the first post, the mortar is starting to crumble, which is why I feel I need a liner... The fireplace is only about 12" deep.

My main question is- Will there be any type of problems using an insert as a freestanding wood stove?
Fisher252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

Lining an Old Chimney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher252 View Post
My main question is- Will there be any type of problems using an insert as a freestanding wood stove?
Yes many, an insert is completely different then a freestanding stove (it's venting is different, mounting, protections and other stuff).

A few manufacturers use the same base "body" for both freestanding and insert, but you have to buy a bunch of parts (expensive) to convert it from one unit to the other. If you want to go that route contact the manufacturer for a conversion kit. I just resell it on craigs list and look for a free standing unit, save you a lot of money and trouble...

Last edited by bungalow_steve; 12-09-2011 at 10:28 AM.
bungalow_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Lining an Old Chimney

chimneyman, read the PM I sent you. No posting of links to your website. You may purchase advertising on this site.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Lining an Old Chimney

He has no vested interest in that company. You may post links to other companies that you have no vested interest in. But not to your company.

Perhaps you should read all of the rules and TOS.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Lining an Old Chimney

That's not joes site. We can post helpful links but not if we have financial interest in the company.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote