Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Share |

Lineset install

Perhaps someone can give me a few pointers. I am installing a 2nd AC unit in my attic which will allow me to turn the 2nd floor into a separate zone. The existing York which cools the entire house was installed in 1985 and I will replace that with a smaller more efficient unit for the 1st floor after I complete the install in the attic. The 3/8" and 3/4" refrigerant lines for the new unit will run 20 feet directly up the outside of the house and enter through the siding into the attic. I have 2 questions:

1) I thought I would run the lines inside a standard aluminum downspout and use spray foam to seal each end. If there is a better way to do this, I hope somebody can let me know.

2) I am a little concerned about bending these copper refrigerant lines. How do you bend these lines without putting a kink in them? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Jim33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Lineset install

Welcome to the forum! I moved you to HVAC for a quicker response, someone will be with you shortly......

Gary

Old 06-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Lineset install

I'd cut the back out of the downspout and just use it as a cover instead of routing the lines though it. Take your time on the bends and it's not hard to do by hand. Remember nice gentle curves, not tight 90's.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Lineset install

Down spout is used a lot for concealing line sets.

Myself, I use a bender. But use to do it ny hand years ago, just have to be real careful.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

Lineset install

Bender or it will probably kink. Buy a spring bender and use it where the line enters the building if your not experienced. If you can't get the bender off leave it on there and insulate around it. Pretty cheap for a nice bend no seams.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #6

Lineset install

Hi !

Since you are going up 20 feet with your line set,you will need a p-trap for the suction line in order for the oil to go back to the compressor.

No kidding.
Norlure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Lineset install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlure View Post
Hi !

Since you are going up 20 feet with your line set,you will need a p-trap for the suction line in order for the oil to go back to the compressor.

No kidding.
The condenser is lower then the evap, no p trap needed to help oil return.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote