Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lifting condensing unit

I need to raise the grade at my existing condensing unit by 8". Can this be done safely without first pumping down the refrigerant and disconnecting the refrigerant lines? If so what is the best way to accomplish this? The unit sits on 4" high legs that are place on a composite pad; it is a relatively new installation (less than 10 years old) and I have clear access on the front and left side with about 24" clear on the right and 12" on the back with plenty of 'slack' with all connection points which are located in the back right corner of the unit.

cbellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Lifting condensing unit

Depends on how much copper lineset you have and how careful you are in the process of lifting the condenser. It's always risky without actually cutting the unit loose from the lineset which would entail pumping it down. Once you bend/kink the copper you will have to cut it loose and have it repaired.

Take and post some pics?

plummen (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,220

Lifting condensing unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbellinger View Post
I need to raise the grade at my existing condensing unit by 8". Can this be done safely without first pumping down the refrigerant and disconnecting the refrigerant lines? If so what is the best way to accomplish this? The unit sits on 4" high legs that are place on a composite pad; it is a relatively new installation (less than 10 years old) and I have clear access on the front and left side with about 24" clear on the right and 12" on the back with plenty of 'slack' with all connection points which are located in the back right corner of the unit.
best way and safest pump it down remove from area to be graded have it reinstalled.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lifting condensing unit

if you have room between the back on the condenser and the house cinder blocks layed down between both 3/4 piece of plywood cut to catch the feet..just lift the condenser up on that.do your grade put pad down lift it back down..lifting the condenser build a 2 X 4 form that wraps around the just below the top section real tight so it catches the screws on the unit.with extended pieces a guy on each side can lift it with ease grabbing the extended handles..doing a straight lift up.clear the lines so they rise with the condenser watch that 208V and STAT electrical if anything gets disconnected clear that stuff away from the condenser.recover/reclaim, revac, recharge your talking BUCKS... with all those REs
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote