DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   License for HVAC work? (

Thurman 05-05-2010 07:30 PM

License for HVAC work?
I often see ads in the local newspaper for "Maintenance man for apartment complex, must be proficient in HVAC repair". So just to find out about this, I call about one job and was told that YES I would, at times, have to re-charge air conditioning units with freon. When I told the lady that, as far as I know in our municipality, and the State, you have to have an HVAC license to do this. She told me that you do not need a license if you work for them, they are exempt. I do not believe this. And how do they get away with this? All of the guys I know in the HVAC business have to be licensed and go courses to keep up with the rules on Freon removal/installation. Any ideas here? Thanks, David

beenthere 05-06-2010 06:43 AM

No license required.

Must be EPA section 608 certified though(it is NOT a license).

tk03 05-06-2010 04:54 PM

Nationally you need certified for working with refrigerant but many states have nothing for the heating side.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.