Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Lennox Whisper Heat G20 series occasionally pops when igniting

I have a 14 year old Lennox Whisper Heat G20 gas furnace that has been giving me problems since last winter. I had a technician come out in the fall to clean and repair the unit. He cleaned everything out and replaced the flame sensor, but the furnace continued to "pop" (sounds like a build up of gas igniting) when igniting. After a couple return visits, the technician replaced one of the burners (and also the pilot module for another clicking issue) and thought that would resolve my problem, but the furnace is still popping occasionally on ignition. I would say that it has some degree of pop on about 1 out of every 5 times that the furnace comes on, with some of them being small and others being loud enough to startle nearby people or my dog.

I called the technician back again and he said he would most likely need to replace one or both of the other burners to resolve this problem, but that he didn't see any noticeable problems with them. Does that sound like a reasonable solution to have to replace all my burners? The technician seems very knowledgeable and has done other work for me in the past, but before I spend the money on 2 more burners is there something else that he is overlooking that would be a more likely cause of this type of behavior?

CubsWin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Should have replaced all burners at the same time if that indeed is the problem.

Lennox might have a diff policy, however. Did he show you or say why the burners needed replacing? As I recall those were stainless steel burners.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
I have a 14 year old Lennox Whisper Heat G20 gas furnace that has been giving me problems since last winter. I had a technician come out in the fall to clean and repair the unit. He cleaned everything out and replaced the flame sensor, but the furnace continued to "pop" (sounds like a build up of gas igniting) when igniting. After a couple return visits, the technician replaced one of the burners (and also the pilot module for another clicking issue) and thought that would resolve my problem, but the furnace is still popping occasionally on ignition. I would say that it has some degree of pop on about 1 out of every 5 times that the furnace comes on, with some of them being small and others being loud enough to startle nearby people or my dog.

I called the technician back again and he said he would most likely need to replace one or both of the other burners to resolve this problem, but that he didn't see any noticeable problems with them. Does that sound like a reasonable solution to have to replace all my burners? The technician seems very knowledgeable and has done other work for me in the past, but before I spend the money on 2 more burners is there something else that he is overlooking that would be a more likely cause of this type of behavior?

You Need a New gas valve!!!!! I work on Lennox over 17 years now and some reason the gas valve on Whisper heat will open fast over time. It is needs to be 3.5 coming out of it and now I bet it like over 5.0. This is very important tio get replace. If you have to call another Lennox dealer.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tator1076 For This Useful Post:
mikefrommi (03-07-2011)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Note Flame sensor should never be replace. All it need to be is clean. When a company replace it all the time its a scam.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The technician replaced the one burner because that was the one that he saw with delayed ignition. After thoroughly cleaning it out twice, he indicated that he would have to replace it although he couldn't "see" anything physically wrong with it.

As for the gas valve, how difficult is it to determine whether that is the problem? I'm assuming it is something that I wouldn't want to do myself, but is that a standard check for a service technician to make? He has done everything since my first visit as free callbacks, so I'm not afraid to have him come check the gas valve if that is the likely culprit.

Last edited by CubsWin; 12-23-2009 at 12:28 PM.
CubsWin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
Note Flame sensor should never be replace. All it need to be is clean. When a company replace it all the time its a scam.
What? If a flame sensor is reading low it does need to be replaced. Or if it was cleaned with sandpaper it could ruin it. Do you know how to check a flame sensor?

To the OP has the heat exchanger been checked? I believe that is a duracurve chamber and they are prone to crack which could cause delayed ignition.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac122 View Post
What? If a flame sensor is reading low it does need to be replaced. Or if it was cleaned with sandpaper it could ruin it. Do you know how to check a flame sensor?

To the OP has the heat exchanger been checked? I believe that is a duracurve chamber and they are prone to crack which could cause delayed ignition.
That's why steel wool should be used to clean a sensor. Only time I ever replaced one is when I broke it during an anual inspection on a furnace
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,362

The furnace I love to hate and the Pulse. The gas valve may need replacing. I have 31 yrs on Lennox. That particular Honeywell valve develops a short between the PV and MV terminals internally. Turns on the MV AND PV and spark at the SAME time. Like turning on a gas BBQ, open lid and throw a match in. Some of those burners warp and the heat exchanger may warp. They are very finicky as there is a gas scoop inside the burner and if anything goes out of alignment that can cause delayed ignition. 95% of the time it is the valve, 5% the burners. You can clean a whisperheat sensor but the pilot burner needs replacing after 10 yrs. Hood gets warped and corroded and the current needs to pass thru it back to the board. Same thing with S86 units.

Last edited by yuri; 12-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with the valve also. Have experienced the same and the new valve cured it.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Like I post. I work n Lennox for along time and some reason that furnace has a promblem with gas valves. I do remember one time lennox put it on recall on some units
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

I have the same POPing problem....I have had the heat exchanges replaced under warranty (exchanges only 20 year warranty) labour was $1000 on each.. We have 2 furnaces. .... they also changed the the burners..... still POPing. Over a one week period there were 3 separate explosions, happens late at night or early morning. Now they say it is a leaky gas valve that has to be replace, waiting for a cost on it....... I have also read that the ignition board might be a problem.... Never had any problems over 20 years on the first set of Lennox.

Anyone have a cost on the gas valve?
autotrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #12

The porcelain on that flame sensor cracks easily, and may be why it needed to be replaced.

The other techs here nailed it, gas valve.

You can measure the manifold pressure and pull the MV wire off the gas valve. If the burners fire or the manifold pressure is above 3.5"wc you'll need to replace it. Either problem will cause your symptoms. I would charge $383 for the valve and labor + $89 service call.

Replace the furnace, you replcaced far to many parts already.

Last edited by beenthere; 04-08-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum
User75130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech X View Post
The porcelain on that flame sensor cracks easily, and may be why it needed to be replaced.

The other techs here nailed it, gas valve.

You can measure the manifold pressure and pull the MV wire off the gas valve. If the burners fire or the manifold pressure is above 3.5"wc you'll need to replace it. Either problem will cause your symptoms. I would charge $383 for the valve and labor + $89 service call.

Replace the furnace, you replcaced far to many parts already.

www.hvactechgroup.com
You guys in Ontario are with in a few bucks of what the better one man shops here in the Detroit suburbs charge. Well from what I see of the quality of work our Ontario colleagues do it's worth every Looney.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #14

My G20 is still doing it!! Replaced Gas valve, new circuit board. This thing is dangerous and junk!! Have spent enough money on repairs that I could have gotten a better furnace, but now into it for too much and still not working right. Wonder if a lawsuit for when it blows up my house will get Lennox's attention!!
cdncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,756

Are you running on nat gas, or propane?

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote