Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Lennox trane or Rheem/ruud

I am trying to compare the different makes & models for a hi efficiency 95% furnaces if I can't fix my old lennox that won't stay lit on the burners

I recognize that these will likely need proprietary parts to service so I am interested in info on reliability and cost of repair over the life of different brands please. Never a big fan of extended warranties nor parts plans

I read here some say lennox is cheaper for parts over trane but are they equally reliable?

My unfinished basement would be an easy install re & re on my old lennox G16Q75 from the 80's

Consumers reports states in their polls from owners, Rheem ranks hi for reliability but the differences in reliability is minimal ie 1-2%. Based upon what you service, what would you recommend please?

Thx

Liberator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

1. Lennox.............98% best on the market http://www.lennox.com/products/furnaces/SLP98V/
2. carrier
a very distant 3 rd would be trane

Last edited by harleyrider; 01-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I can tell you I have a 2 year old Ruud system and it has been nothing but trouble...spend a little extra and go better then i did

Check out my Man Blog

Last edited by jasonreck71; 01-20-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
jasonreck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonreck71 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Ford vs Chevy
Mobil1 vs Pennzoil

(I'm a Chevy and Pennzoil guy)
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Its true......you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers.I have worked with/on Lennox my whole carer, I have been to the plant and seen the production, i can say with out a doubt that lennox's quality control is second to none, they strive very hard to make sure that the product they are putting out is a technically advanced as it can possibly be, and that its going to have a long and un-eventfull life. But with all that being said, in the real world, mechanical parts break, and wear out.Thats what warranty's are for I guess.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Never a big fan of extended warranties nor parts plans
You might check the price for a replacement ECM blower motor and reconsider your stance on that extended warranty.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Replaced a 21 year old Rheem oversized beast with a smaller sized Rheem mod furnace (now in its 4th heating season).

The beast never missed a beat and never saw a service tech. The mod gets an annual checkup. Runs smooth as silk--solid comfort.

Oh, I forgot. When we first moved in and turned the furnace on it started to smoke. Seems the installer had shorted some wires then hid the burnt wires in an inside corner. Didn't discover the bad wires till they took the furnace out. He also did a lousy job on the ductwork (new construction).

Oh, if I knew then what I know now.

V

Last edited by veesubotee; 01-20-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: small edit
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,362

Personally I believe Lennox and Trane are equally reliable and same quality and I am a Lennox dealer. I have seen 30 -35 yr old Trane ACs chugging along with their 30 -35 yr old Lennox mates and a few Carriers. After that no one else. Not sure why Trane parts are more expensive and they use a lot of proprietary parts which they chg more for vs generics ( this is in the past, now everything is proprietary) Seems like they "figure" they are better and can demand a better price but not IMO. If the dealer is sleazy or not so reputable then brand is not the issue Go with the one with the best track record even if it costs $2-300 more.

Some of these so called consumer reports are tracking all the unhappy views which can be install or poor trained tech related and not the problem of the machine. Happy people don't complain or give reports so any brand can get bashed unfairly. Unhappy people love to fill out reports and surveys.

Last edited by yuri; 01-20-2012 at 03:58 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #9

What is the consensus on the big box retailers ie Home Depot, Costco, Lowes, Sears etc as they all seem to sub the work out to contracted HVAC installers and back up the work and furnace. Is this the best route? As I understand they place a good share of the furnaces in North America.

I wouldn't know where to start outside of calling lennox or trane and ask who they have in my area. I think referrals would be key but don't know anybody who had done a new hi eff furnace of late

This is harder than shopping for a car where you can compare specs and performance and price
Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
What is the consensus on the big box retailers ie Home Depot, Costco, Lowes, Sears etc as they all seem to sub the work out to contracted HVAC installers and back up the work and furnace. Is this the best route? As I understand they place a good share of the furnaces in North America.

I wouldn't know where to start outside of calling lennox or trane and ask who they have in my area. I think referrals would be key but don't know anybody who had done a new hi eff furnace of late

This is harder than shopping for a car where you can compare specs and performance and price
at www.lennox.com they have a dealer locator
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,756

Currently. Rheem/Ruud is the only manufacturer that has a truely proven modulating furnace. Its been out for 15 plus years. Everyone else has only had their mod furnace out for 3 to 5 years. So long term reliability is not proven on them.

What ever brand you choose, make sure it is NOT over sized for the house. And that your duct system is big enough for it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Currently. Rheem/Ruud is the only manufacturer that has a truely proven modulating furnace. Its been out for 15 plus years. Everyone else has only had their mod furnace out for 3 to 5 years. So long term reliability is not proven on them.

What ever brand you choose, make sure it is NOT over sized for the house. And that your duct system is big enough for it.
Thanks for the info. I was considering a modulating Ruud. My place is 2400 sf and I am in the pacific northwest with poorly insulated walls, windows and antic. Will be looking at upgrading all these shortly
Old 01-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Part of the Clover Leaf

Well my 2 cents: I would go with Trane because they make a much more robust furnace than any of the others.

But I am surprised that no body mention that the installation is more important than brand.

All the units mentioned (cougcarrier coughsucks) will work equally well as long as they are installed according to their individual specs.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
how

Rewards Points: 512

Hey liberator.
The two subjects guarenteed to highlight our varied preferences and opinions here are "which brand is best", closely followed by "whats the right way to clean a flame sensor".
how is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
Liberator (01-21-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Hey liberator.
The two subjects guarenteed to highlight our varied preferences and opinions here are "which brand is best", closely followed by "whats the right way to clean a flame sensor".
So I hit both subjects in my 2 threads here