Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lennox SureLight not Firing

Hi all, I hope someone can help me.
Lennox G32Q 3/4 - 100-3
Unit is about 10 years old, but I just bought the house a few months ago. The inspector back a few months ago tested the furnace, or so he said, worked well.
Put in a clean filter for the AprilAir unit and tried to fire the furnace. The exhaust fan starts, the ignition system glows ( I can see this through the port window) I hear what sounds like a solenoid click, I Do Not hear propane flowing, ( not sure if I should) there is no flame ignition. The ignition shuts down then repeats a few times, until eventually the unit shuts down.

The Honeywell Gas Valve is on. The main Propane valve is in on position. I have looked at the White Rogers board in the bottom panel. Everything looks very clean.

I just went through the last few months with my water heater. Nice system with a flame sensor problem. Found a forum that told me to bend the flame sensor up, no problems sense. Figured I would give this forum a shot to see if there are any easy suggestions, or do I need to call a guy? My water heater was easy to get to the flame, this furnace is not as accessible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hef

kheflw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Need to confirm there's at least 11" of pressure coming into the furnace gas valve and 10" after the valve. If that's good then there's probably a spider egg sack in the brass orifice between the burner and manifold. Remove 6 screws on the burner cover and the 2 holding the gas line bracket and the manifold will come right out to access the orifices. While you have it down that far remove the 2 screws holding on the burners and clean those out too. Sounds way more complicated then it is.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I will look into it. Can you suggest a Pressure Test gauge that I can pick up. Does Home Depot carry something like that. Those numbers you quoted are good for Propane correct. I really feel that is the issue. On my Water Heater I can hear the Propane flow just before ignition. I hear nothing. As if the gas valve itself is not allowing the flow.
You mentioned Spiders. I'm new to the Maryland area, but I have to say I have never seen so many large spiders in my life. And they are many of them in the basement. Seems like a tightly sealed system though, how would they find their way in there. Who knows?

How about an electrical test to initiate the flow of gas through the valve? Any ideas there?

Thanks
kheflw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

That's a 2 stage furnace. The center wire is common so check from there to the other wires on the gas valve for 24 volts. The only thing that makes a click is the gas valve so I'm assuming there's 24 volts at the valve when you hear the click. A meter will show for sure.
Yes those numbers are for propane. Don't know if HD has manometers or not but I'm sure you can buy one on line. My cheapest one is a yellow jacket brand and ran 50 something dollars. Just be careful and use your head,propane isn't nearly as forgiving as natural gas so no leaks OK?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote