Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Lennox Pulse Problem

I've lived in this house for five years and haven't had any problems with my Lennox Pulse furnace until now. I replaced the thermostat when I first moved in and it was working fine. All of a sudden, the furnace does not seem to respond to anything--it's completely silent so I thought maybe the fuse blew out, but the fuse is fine and a voltage detector senses power on various wires inside the furnace. In fact, if I set the thermostat fan switch to "On" (instead of auto), and then turn the fan limiter dial, the fan will come on.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get the familiar clicking of the spark plug or any other sound out of the furnace. I don't see any lights on on any part of it's internals.

I'm nervous to call a repair man without having some kind of clue of what the problem could be because I know the easiest answer I'll get is "These Pulse furnaces are junk--buy a new one", but that's not something I can handle right now.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what I can do to at least better diagnose what the problem might be?

Thanks!
C

Cikub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Lennox Pulse Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cikub View Post
I've lived in this house for five years and haven't had any problems with my Lennox Pulse furnace until now. I replaced the thermostat when I first moved in and it was working fine. All of a sudden, the furnace does not seem to respond to anything--it's completely silent so I thought maybe the fuse blew out, but the fuse is fine and a voltage detector senses power on various wires inside the furnace. In fact, if I set the thermostat fan switch to "On" (instead of auto), and then turn the fan limiter dial, the fan will come on.

There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get the familiar clicking of the spark plug or any other sound out of the furnace. I don't see any lights on on any part of it's internals.

I'm nervous to call a repair man without having some kind of clue of what the problem could be because I know the easiest answer I'll get is "These Pulse furnaces are junk--buy a new one", but that's not something I can handle right now.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what I can do to at least better diagnose what the problem might be?

Thanks!
C
Your fears are real.....most noob techs and non -Lennox techs use the "fear of the un-known" tactic right off the bat on the pulse.

Thats why you have to do your home work before you call....first and fore most call a Lennox dealer, second when you do call insist that they send a older tech who has experience with a pulse, be stern and tell them that if the tech appears "young" and in-experienced you will not even allow him in your house.

the old timers know that this is a great furnace and they enjoy working on them......
now with all that said its proper for the tech to insist on a pressure check of your heat exchanger, this is no easy processes and it will be semi costly but its for your own good, he should recommend it and you should allow it...........if your unit passes the pressure test then he can proceed with repairing it.

if he doesn't suggest the pressure test then he is NOT a true Lennox tech and you should show him the door!

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Lennox Pulse Problem

Just be forewarned... most parts for the pulse have been discontinued and Lennox is out of them. From the description of the problem I'm thinking ignition module. That is one of the parts that are no longer made and out of stock,no after market parts will work either.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,378

Lennox Pulse Problem

Ace, the old timers (Me) know it WAS a great furnace and hate working on them.