Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 242
Share |
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Hi!

I've read a number of bad reviews from professionals with the 3M filtrete products. I have a Lennox ML193 furnace that has the "healthy climate" 5" filter bay.

I've used the Filtrete 1550 (16x25x4) in the past and the Honeywell 4" "Micro Defense" filters, and it came with the Lennox 4" (maybe 5") merv10 filter.

I like the filtrete's because they are the easiest to purchase, followed by the Honeywell's. The 4" Filtrete is sold at target and I can find the 4" Honeywell at HD. The Lennox filters are the hardest to find because you have to go to the Lennox dealer....or order online.

As far as performance goes, which one would you recommend? I'm wondering if the Filtrete's would be OK with my furnace because it has the bigger HC cabinet and it's a newer furnace. I also have to add that I have horrible allergies and asthma, so the more filtered air, the better. I also don't want to measure the temperature above the heat exchanger and compare it to see if it's running too hot or not... just because I'm lazy and can't find my probe.

So, with the setup I have, does it sound like the Filtrete is alright, or should I make a run out to a lennox dealer for their filter....

thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Hi!

I've read a number of bad reviews from professionals with the 3M filtrete products. I have a Lennox ML193 furnace that has the "healthy climate" 5" filter bay.

I've used the Filtrete 1550 (16x25x4) in the past and the Honeywell 4" "Micro Defense" filters, and it came with the Lennox 4" (maybe 5") merv10 filter.

I like the filtrete's because they are the easiest to purchase, followed by the Honeywell's. The 4" Filtrete is sold at target and I can find the 4" Honeywell at HD. The Lennox filters are the hardest to find because you have to go to the Lennox dealer....or order online.

As far as performance goes, which one would you recommend? I'm wondering if the Filtrete's would be OK with my furnace because it has the bigger HC cabinet and it's a newer furnace. I also have to add that I have horrible allergies and asthma, so the more filtered air, the better. I also don't want to measure the temperature above the heat exchanger and compare it to see if it's running too hot or not... just because I'm lazy and can't find my probe.

So, with the setup I have, does it sound like the Filtrete is alright, or should I make a run out to a lennox dealer for their filter....

thanks!
filters are rated by a "merv" rating.........http://www.mechreps.com/PDF/Merv_Rating_Chart.pdf

It means Minimum Effenency Reporting Value, with 16 being the higher end, 10 being standard or common and 6 being a lower end filter.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Hey wiz, if you don't check the temp rise you are courting a cracked heat exchanger.

You are dealing with some very restrictive filters that have caused furnaces to give up the ghost early on.

It's common and mandatory safe practice to check the temp rise. I have found more furnace over heat with Filtritte filter because of the tight weave.

It's not worth risking your life for. Check that temp rise ASAP.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,778
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


If you don't want to check temp rise across the heat exchange. Go with a MERV 8 filter. It will be less restrictive to air flow.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #5
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,256
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


those are both rated at merv 12 which is too tight for that furnace. merv 8 or 10 is good for it. if you had the more powerful ecm motor unit then a tighter filter would be ok.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
those are both rated at Merv 12 which is too tight for that furnace. Merv 8 or 10 is good for it. if you had the more powerful ecm motor unit then a tighter filter would be OK.
It would be impossible for a filter to be " too tight for that furnace", now it could be the restrictive duct work that could require you to use a less restrictive filter.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Hey wiz, if you don't check the temp rise you are courting a cracked heat exchanger.

You are dealing with some very restrictive filters that have caused furnaces to give up the ghost early on.

It's common and mandatory safe practice to check the temp rise. I have found more furnace over heat with Filtritte filter because of the tight weave.

It's not worth risking your life for. Check that temp rise ASAP.
Filters don't harm a furnace, PEOPLE not CHANGING a DIRTY FILTER DO......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 242
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Thank you all for the responses.

OK, so maybe the best thing would be to check the temp rise. I was being lazy, but I will find my temp probe tonight and check it. I suppose it won't be THAT hard...I guess I was just being lazy.

Without knowing much or being a HVAC guy, I would think that the reason Filtrete's have a bad name is because people assume that since the label says it lasts up to a year, and they're buying an expensive filter, that they don't have to change it as frequently. Again, I'm no expert, but I get that feeling. I try to change mine on a monthly (or maybe two month) basis.

I still have the question about Filtrete vs Honeywell vs Lennox filters, and which one would be best to use. Also, a technical question about my furnace...does anybody know if it is an ECM motor in there, and what the max MERV value I can go up to with it?

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
It would be impossible for a filter to be " too tight for that furnace", now it could be the restrictive duct work that could require you to use a less restrictive filter.
please clarify.
If the weave is too tight air won't pas thru the filter no matter what shape the duct work is in.
So your saying not so?????
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Thank you all for the responses.

OK, so maybe the best thing would be to check the temp rise. I was being lazy, but I will find my temp probe tonight and check it. I suppose it won't be THAT hard...I guess I was just being lazy.

Without knowing much or being a HVAC guy, I would think that the reason Filtrete's have a bad name is because people assume that since the label says it lasts up to a year, and they're buying an expensive filter, that they don't have to change it as frequently. Again, I'm no expert, but I get that feeling. I try to change mine on a monthly (or maybe two month) basis.

I still have the question about Filtrete vs Honeywell vs Lennox filters, and which one would be best to use. Also, a technical question about my furnace...does anybody know if it is an ECM motor in there, and what the max MERV value I can go up to with it?

Thanks!
The name brand doesn't matter...........its the MERV rating that you want to watch............In 30 years of doing HVAC service have I never found a properly sized furnace on properly sized duct work over heating or freezing up from a Merv 10 or higher filter (unless the filter was plugged.)
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,778
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
The name brand doesn't matter...........its the MERV rating that you want to watch............In 30 years of doing HVAC service have I never found a properly sized furnace on properly sized duct work over heating or freezing up from a Merv 10 or higher filter (unless the filter was plugged.)
Different brands of the same MERV rating do have a different PD at the same CFM.

Few duct systems are installed/sized for a air filter of a MERV rating higher then 10. And MERV 13 filters often have a high PD. So people think that the same size will allow the same amount of air through. Not realizing that the duct system wasn't designed for it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,256
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


the Merit line does not have an ecm motor. the elite and signature series have some with ecm motors. based on my 33 yrs experience in 90+ % of the units I see most of them don't have big honkin oversized ductwork so any filter over merv 10 restricts enough airflow that they ride the limit control and won't work properly. nowadays builders use the cheapest smallest sized ductwork possible. do the proper temp rise test. yes, it is a backwards equation. people figure the more a filter costs the longer it should last but it is the opposite. it is taking more dust out and plugging sooner and slowing down the airflow and overheating the furnace and causing the motor to draw more amps/juice and running up your electric bill too.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Different brands of the same MERV rating do have a different PD at the same CFM.

Few duct systems are installed/sized for a air filter of a MERV rating higher then 10. And MERV 13 filters often have a high PD. So people think that the same size will allow the same amount of air through. Not realizing that the duct system wasn't designed for it.
I disagree.......if this were true then the MERV rating would be worthless, Of course its not its used daily by hundreds of thousands of professionals world wide. Every return drop we put in we leave provissions so our customers can up grade to a 4 in wide filter if they want, and never have we had a problem doing so. The only time we/I have ever seen a problem is when the HO did not keep the filter clean. Static pressure from one brand to the other is virtually identical, obviously a higher Merv rating will have a different SP then a lower Merv rating. to make a statement such as what you have made is unfounded and very irresponsible on your part.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,778
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
I disagree.......if this were true then the MERV rating would be worthless, Of course its not its used daily by hundreds of thousands of professionals world wide. Every return drop we put in we leave provissions so our customers can up grade to a 4 in wide filter if they want, and never have we had a problem doing so. The only time we/I have ever seen a problem is when the HO did not keep the filter clean. Static pressure from one brand to the other is virtually identical, obviously a higher Merv rating will have a different SP then a lower Merv rating. to make a statement such as what you have made is unfounded and very irresponsible on your part.

Try testing some. Go to the box store and buy some, and then buy Honeywell OEMs. And test them. You'll find some big differences.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Part of the Clover Leaf
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NW Burbs of Detroit Mi.
Posts: 1,107
Default

Lennox ML193 with a Filtrete


Acefurnacefixer' this You Tube link clearly shows the tighter the filter the more wattage on a motor as it works harder to move air thru it.
A test chamber is used and several diff filters are tested for their restrictiveness.

check it out




hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac5646 For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (01-09-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lennox Furnace 80UHG3 Won't Ignite KeithGP HVAC 8 03-22-2014 11:22 AM
Return air boot for Lennox PCO filter SFX Group HVAC 0 09-17-2011 11:06 AM
Lennox G61 quote, also water heater and ac bw77 HVAC 1 06-16-2011 07:12 PM
Lennox AC in upstate NY JasonNY HVAC 9 07-23-2010 02:35 PM
Wiring Tradeline L6006C Aquastat to Lennox CBWMV Hydronic Air Handler VIPSpecialNeeds HVAC 5 03-15-2010 06:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.