Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Share |

Lennox inducer motor bracket

I have a Lennox G16q3-75-5 furnace, and two of the thin, metal pieces - brackets, I assume - that hold the inducer motor to the furnace have broken. I had an hvac company come out a couple of weeks ago to service the system since it was making a growling noise. They didn't even look at the inducer motor that I can tell, but when they left said that my inducer motor was probably going out. This low growl increased to a loud vibration when one of these brackets broke last week. Another company came out and didn't offer to change the bracket, just the motor. It appears these brackets help absorb vibration and wrap from bolts on the motor to bolts on the furnace. I believe the motor was last replaced in '04. I currently have two clamps holding the motor and what's left of these brackets still, but I don't know how long it will take the third bracket to break. Lennox is impossible to get ahold of; even the multiple hvac professionals I've called don't want to deal with them. I found some kind of bracket online. Will these work on my furnace or do I need to replace the whole motor? (see universal belly band brackets with rubber grommets http://www.myhvacparts.com/Catalogue...20Brackets.htm)

mmm97m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

those are way to big for any inducer motor. take a picture of your bracket. also try cozyparts.com

Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 AM   #3

Sir, that is why Lennox is on of the biggest names in hvac. They make quality products.

You seem to be heading down the road of the cheap fix. Trust you Lennox guy and replace the whole part. It will cost less in the long run.

My dad used to tell his customers,"You can't fix a Cadillac at Chevrolet prices".

Still true today.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #4

Well, I found the parts for sale here http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Part...tID=28G23-SET3.

I just hope that I can figure out how to put them in or find a service person who can.

There is no "Lennox guy" here. If you mean the local HVAC people, I am not sure about them. Yes, they want to sell me a new motor because these motor isolation springs are broken, or sell me a new furnace. The local Lennox store puts you on hold for as long as you will stay.

And it's ma'am, not sir.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #5

Best of luck to you. I don't mess with replacing pieces and parts on inducers since the wheel gets bent and the bearings take a beating when things are out of balance. Whole assembly costs more for the part but less in labor so it ends up about the same in the end.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Thats right. And with the age of that furnace the heat exchanger has a 90% or more chance of being cracked. Going to be a $$ pit repairing it soon. Less than 5% of them are running in my area. Recommend a new higher efficiency unit.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

Yes, that's exactly why I'm buying the parts and putting them on myself at $8 a piece as opposed to buying and having the motor replaced at $350 or so then having to completely change the system because of the heat exchanger. Thanks for your help!

Now, if I can get some advice on changing the motor isolation springs, that would be great!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #8

Doesn't look like enough room to replace the springs without tearing the whole inducer assembly into parts. Remove it from the heat exchanger first then break down as much as needed to get the bolts in the new spring eyes. Order a new inducer gasket since the old one will likely fall apart once the screws are out. Odds are the inducer wheel is warped and the bearings are shot, that's why the springs broke.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

We don't rip those units apart, just replace the whole fan unit. They end up being off balance and noisy. Too many callbacks and complaints from customers saying we damaged their unit and now want free repairs.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #10

Same here yuri. Only tried repairing inducer parts twice and quickly found out it's a waste of time. Now it's not even offered as an option. Guess if you're just selling parts then you'll get the part sale one day then the whole assembly sale the next day. Hopefully it doesn't get messed up too bad where there's no heat for a week waiting for the assembly to arrive.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

The only ones I disassemble are the Carrier mids as they sell them in pieces. Wheel gets so SEIZED on from rust and heat that no amount of heating or penetrating oil will loosen the set screw so I take a hacksaw and saw the motor shaft off. Install a new wheel and motor and like new. Every other job gets a whole new assembly and warranty.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #12

@##!!**%%! Carrier and Bryant parts.

I got stories about them.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #13

Thanks, everybody. The springs came out with a little oil. They were rusty looking, so I think it was just their time. I don't regret the $30 or the effort I put into it. If the motor goes bad next, of course I'll have it replaced. Thanks again.