DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lennox Heat Pump

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ben's plumbing 
#1 ·
Here's the short story, I bought a recently new built house without a heat pump but the listing agent said there would be a new one when the contract was completed. I came back and there was a new Lennox 13HPX heat pump. The licensed contractor installed the Lennox heat pump for $1200 parts and labor. This was in October. The heat worked all winter but when we turned the AC on for the first time in April, it didn't work. The Lennox contractor said that the board was fried on the heat pump and it should be replaced. He replaced it and it worked.

Now about 2 weeks ago we cut the heat on for the first time this cold season and no heat. He came back out and said that the board was fried again. He also stated that the wiring or something had to be messed up for this to happen. He also mentioned that the Air handler unit should match the heat pump. I have a Trane air handler and Lennox heat pump. He suggested switching out my return unit for a Lennox to match. I have already paid $400 out of my pocket for service calls, etc.

With that being said, shouldn't he have noticed that when he installed the heat pump and consulted the listing agent before doing so?

Also, anyone have suggestions on what is going on with my air system?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are saying that the hvac contractor should have matched the heat pump to the already existing inside unit then there's wiggle room in that. If you had been in the home and living and had no realtor to deal with then it'd be a definitive yes but since the home was vacant it's pretty much whatever happens happens.

As long as the size is correct any two brands will work together (think three Goodyear tires and one Firestone on your car). But if the size of them, in a/c terminology it's called btu's, don't match up then the system can suffer.

#3 ·
About 95% of my work is vacant/abandoned home air conditioning. I install whatever needs putting in, most of the times it's just a condenser which has been stolen. I don't care what's inside as long as it's there. What I do care about is the size.

I could flap my gums at the realtors and banks all day long but if they aren't going to pay for it (all they want is for the complete package to work until the property is off of their hands) and they won't as I have, it doesn't matter.

#4 ·
While matching the lennox to a Trane won't get you the SEER rating of the lennox. It has nothing to do with the boards burning up. Sounds like a mis wire. And the contractor should be standing behind the wiring. Since he should have checked all of it when he installed the outdoor unit.

Reactions: hvactech126
#5 ·
agree with bt on this ..that contractor should have seen this to be a problem after the 1st burn of board......unless he is a parts changer... and not a true tech..that find the reason Why something went bad.. he should have checked all the things that could cause this problem and address it..he did not and he should stand behind his work....your job is to suggest such...ben sr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.