Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Share |

Lennox G12 Blower Motor Problem

This afternoon there was a loud screeching sound as the blower motor totally froze up on my 16 year old Lennox furnace.

It's very obvious to me that the motor bit the dust, I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to remove the whole cage assy to remove the motor?
2. I see 3 bolts on the support side of the unit. If I remove those , is there eneough room to slide the motor out?
3. Where is a good place to get a replacement motor?

I'm pretty good at fixing my appliances (thanks to the internet) but have not touched the furnace. Looking for some advice here.

BTW - I'm in SoCal and luckily the weather is cooling down. some

jimvh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Whatamess

You should be able to loosen the set screws on the squirrel cage and then unbolt the motor and slide it out. If you have to tap it out oil the shaft and use a brass drilf so you don't mushroom the shaft.Make sure you cut the power off.
WW Grainger would be a good source or A/C supply if they will sell to you. A good motor repair may be able to fix it also.
Good luck

Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Once you get the motor out, and if you're certain that the electrical part of it is OK, and just the shaft froze up, you can usually replace the bearings yourself.

If it's held together with bolts (usually 4), first mark where the endbells go on the rest of the frame. That way, you'll put it back together the same way. Usually, you have to pry the endbells off, and when you get the rotor out, if they're ball bearings, they'll be pressed onto the shaft. It usually isn't any too difficult to remove them, they're not all that tight.

Once you get the bearings off, look for a number, 6203ZZ is pretty common for this type. Grainger has them, as do many other industrial supply houses. They're about $8 or so, a lot less than a new motor. Even if only one is bad, replace both.

This is most likely a PSC (permanent split capacitor) motor, and if so, when you're done, you'll have basically a new motor. Bearings are the only thing that wears out on this type of motor.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Could you please tell me which G12 Blower Motor has bearings?

I just took apart my Lennox G12 after the blower motor failed with the buzz of death. Come to find out there was so much dust and gunk in the motor and squirrel cage that it simply refused to turn, even with the umph of the start capacitor. I used an air compressor and WD40 wipes to clean what looked like decades of neglect (I inherited this house and all its terribly neglected appliances, so don't be h8n) out of the squirrel cage, the blower itself and the PSC blower motor. This thing doesn't have bearings at all, it has bushings! No bearing kits to buy, didn't even have to replace the blower motor, just gave it a good cleaning and put it all back together. Saved me plenty on this 107 degree day in St Louie! Timing was so 'perfect,' it's the hottest day on record! The service call alone would have been enough to make me pass out, much less the heat.
javadewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

Wow,

This was an old thread. I was surprised when I looked at the date and saw that my fix was almost 3 years ago.

I also see that i failed to thank everyone and give an update...... If memory serves right it took me a couple of hours and about $20 for the parts. I count this as one on my successful repairs.

Thanks for all that posted to help me on this.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

So you're not going to elaborate? Did you swap out the run capacitor or did you have to venture through removing the actual motor?
javadewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #7

One of the bearings had given up. I went to Grainger, got the bearings that were suggest and put them in.

Easy as pie.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
This thing doesn't have bearings at all, it has bushings!
What you are calling bushings. Are actually sleeve bearings.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote