Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #1

Share |

Lennox Elite Water Gurgle

I have a Lennox Elite Series 90+% Gas Furnace.

When I attempted to turn it on last night, it didn't work.
I went downstairs for a look, and was greeted by the sound of water swishing around.
I removed the cover, and saw that the motor on the front was barely turning, and sometimes wouldn't turn at all. When it did turn, the water was heard.

It turns out, water backed up from the drain, and collected in the squirrel cage fan this front motor drives... keeping it from turning.

I removed the four 1/4" screws around the perimeter of the fan, along with the big hose that attaches to it, and poured the water out.

It now works just fine!

<<<<<<WHAT HAPPENED>>>>>

This summer, my drain backed up and needed unclogged.
When it backed up, it ran into the fan housing.

If anybody has a similar situation, and you've had previous drain problems... just pull the fan assembly off and drain the water out!

The fan is the large circular black object at the bottom left. The whole unit, not just the motor. (not my pic or unit, but shows what the fan looks like)

Good Luck!
n2omike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Take that small drain hose from the left side boot on the exhaust that runs down to the condensate trap off and flush it with hot water. Gets plugged. Checked the barbed fitting where it attaches to the boot for blockage. If either gets plugged then water pours back into the exhaust fan and will cause you the same problem.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

My unit is having the same issue - the squirrel cage gets filled with water - however my unit won't fire. It tries to start for 60-90 seconds then the blinking LED lights give me go from both blinking to only the left side blinking.

Is this condensation from the AC unit - we have not turned the furnace on yet this year.

My furnace is a lennox g61mpv

Last edited by geedub; 10-16-2010 at 05:11 PM.
geedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Could be. Or the drain trap on the outside of the furnace is clogged and not draining. Very easy to break them so I would recommend you get a lennox tech to sort out the problem. The drain from the AC should not tie into the top of the vent for that trap. Can be tee'd into the drain line further down from it. Should have an annual service done and get the flame sensor cleaned and the face of the burner it sits in front of. Quite difficult to get at unless you are a Lennox tech or experienced with them.

Last edited by yuri; 10-16-2010 at 05:34 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote