Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Lennox air handler electric heat

I got a Lennox furnace, electric and the heat comes on but goes off real quickly, I took off the furnace cover and it feels really hot and all, and when I look in at the squirrel cage fan, the elements are glowing bright red, I got scared and turned the breakers off at the bottom, all the trouble shooting points to the sequencers, so I bought another one for $59. and installed it, there are like 11 wires and I'm sure I got them all where they are supposed to be and all, I assembled everything and fired it up, and the same thing happened, so what else could it be? The relay? I don't want to call out a repair man and be raped, but if I do, then so be it,I live here in Salem Oregon, winter hasn't set in yet but it sure will! please help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

kelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Made this its own thread.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

What is model and serial number of the unit? Is the blower motor working, when the unit is on and then off really quick?
jnc401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelog View Post
I got a Lennox furnace, electric and the heat comes on but goes off real quickly, I took off the furnace cover and it feels really hot and all, and when I look in at the squirrel cage fan, the elements are glowing bright red, I got scared and turned the breakers off at the bottom, all the trouble shooting points to the sequencers, so I bought another one for $59. and installed it, there are like 11 wires and I'm sure I got them all where they are supposed to be and all, I assembled everything and fired it up, and the same thing happened, so what else could it be? The relay? I don't want to call out a repair man and be raped, but if I do, then so be it,I live here in Salem Oregon, winter hasn't set in yet but it sure will! please help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
If youve replaced the sequencer control and the elements are still lit up with no blower operation (thats what i assume from your post) .... then one or more 240 v. elements have either shorted out to ground (broke and touched the element frame) thereby completing a 120 v. circuit thru the element(s) which will keep them partially energized continuously until a fuse eventually blows or until its respective power wires melt and burn out.

If the blower IS blowing with the elements stuck on continuously, then your problem can be either a main relay that sends a signal for the sequencers to start closing thier switches or a stuck wall thermostat or a short somewhere in the thermostat control wiring of 'R' to 'W' which would then cause a constant call for heat.

Its most likely time to call the Service Tech from a Company others have had good luck with. Let us know the outcome.
TheyCallMeDave is offline   Reply With Quote