Lennox AC Won't Start - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Lennox AC won't start

I have a Lennox AC unit HS23-311-2p , the other day it just stopped working I've checked the connectors from the thermostat to the furnace to the unit and all are okay. I have continuity in both fuses in the outside box as well as the indoor fuse box. I then found a burned wire on the red wire connected to the start capacitor, I have replaced the wire and have power running through it. I haven't checked the connector at the fan motor or the compressor but I don't hear anything. Before tearing the whole thing apart and checking the connection at the fan and compressor is there anything else I should try first? Thanks for all of your help!

Advertisement

kcd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Lennox AC won't start

Does the contactor activate when the stat calls for cooling?

Do you have 240v at the contactor? If not, check for tripped breakers.

Are you sure you're referring to a start capacitor? Is it silver/grey, or is it black? If it's silver, that a run cap, and quite often a faulty run cap can cause the system to stop. You can check caps if you have a meter capable of doing this, or you can just drop by the local HVAC supply house and get a replacement. You'll need to know the microfarad rating (like 40 +5, if it's a dual cap) and the voltage (either 370 or 440)

Advertisement

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Lennox AC won't start

Looks like what the user guide calls a start capacitor is now called a run capacitor, what part # is compatible with my unit, when I type in the # on the actual unit it shows a unit that looks like it has the same connections, but is oval not round...does that matter? Thanks again for your help!
kcd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #4

Lennox AC won't start

Quote:
Looks like what the user guide calls a start capacitor is now called a run capacitor
No - there are Start capacitors, and there are Run capacitors. They're two different things.

Doesn't matter about oval or round, either will work. You're concerned with the microfarad rating and the voltage.

I have no idea what is compatible with your unit. Contact your local HVAC dealer to find this out.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Lennox AC won't start

The start/run capacitor on my Bryant died suddenly Monday. Condensing unit did nothing. My job workload deemed I call a pro. I happen to know one I trust. He came out later that day and tested it. He replaced the capacitor and all was good. It was about 115.00 and in my not so humble opinion, well worth it. It was 98ļ that day and I couldn't just wait and test it myself.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Lennox AC won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcd1803 View Post
Looks like what the user guide calls a start capacitor is now called a run capacitor, what part # is compatible with my unit, when I type in the # on the actual unit it shows a unit that looks like it has the same connections, but is oval not round...does that matter? Thanks again for your help!
The mfd/uf needs to match. The voltage can go up from 370 to 440 or it can stay the same.

If there are no numbers on your old cap, if they're faded, post the make, model and serial number of your condenser.

Generally a start capacitor runs 70uf and higher.

Advertisement