Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Lennox AC problem

I have a Lennox AC. The day before yesterday, it stopped working. Here is the detailed issue.

AC runs for 5-10 min till the temperature drops 1 or 2 degress and then the FAN stops and you can still hear the compressor humming. I went ahead and checked the following:
1) Capacitor - It is a Dual Capacitor HERM - 80 microfarads, FAN - 7.5 microfarads. Using a CRAFTSMAN meter, I check the capacitance. The HERM reading was 77.8 and the FAN reading was 7.59. Based on the forums I have read, it seems that the capacitor is fine.

2) Removed the FAN cleaned the unit from inside removed all dirt etc.. No difference. Issue still happened.

3) Checked the contactor and it looked fine. I did not unplug it but checked the operation itself. When the AC was shut the contactor released, when turned on it worked fine.

4) I checked the CAPACITOR for excessive heat and it was warm but not over-heated etc..

Can someone tell me if I have missed something out so far? Also what do I check now? I am savvy with checking electrical circuits etc and use caution. Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.

DEADAC2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Lennox AC problem

Which fan stopped. The outdoor fan or the one in your furnace/air handler?

What is the complete model and serial # of the A/C?

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

Lennox AC problem

Hi Yuri,

It is the outdoor fan. The AC unit is a LENNOX 12HPB60-10P.

I replaced the CAPACITOR with a similar one and had the same issue. It powers on for some time, then after approx 3-5 minutes you can hear the fan slow down and finally stop. I have checked the contactor removed every wire and connected it back...

Thanks
DEADAC2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Lennox AC problem

Sounds like it is seizing up and needs a new motor. Motor probably getting roasty hot at that time. Don't keep using it that way as it builds up excess freon pressure which is not good. Try cozyparts.com for Lennox parts.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac operation