Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lennox 80MGF Board Burned out

My Lennox 80MGF EGC-2 Board burned out on my 1997 Lennox furnace. I have had the board replace once before by a pro.

This time, I am thinking of replacing the board myself. I was able to get my hands on another EGC-2 board and that should be arriving any day.

Besides the obvious - labeling wires and making sure all wires are correct, is there anything else I should be concerned about?

I will keep you posted once I get it installed.

Thanks,
Jay

jay235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #2

Jay,

Check out my posting this past weekend:

Lennox 80MGF gas furnace question

I just replaced the circuit board on the same model, but with an EGC-1 bought from CozyParts.com.

If you have the same exact circuit board, then labelling and making sure you turn off the gas and power to the furnace and avoid static electricity, you shouldn't have any problems.

pdxsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsk View Post
Jay,

Check out my posting this past weekend:

Lennox 80MGF gas furnace question

I just replaced the circuit board on the same model, but with an EGC-1 bought from CozyParts.com.

If you have the same exact circuit board, then labelling and making sure you turn off the gas and power to the furnace and avoid static electricity, you shouldn't have any problems.
Since repairs of this type are frequently done during the heart of the winter, I'm wondering about static electricity (low ID humidity).

I know when working inside my computer, I always use an anti-static wrist strap before removing any bubble wrap or other type from boards.

Do any PROs take such precautions, or just touch bare metal to bleed off any charge?

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #4

That's a good idea V. I have always touched ground while removing the circuit board from the package but a grounding strap sure would free up some xtra fingers.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #5

Thanks for you advice. I can certainly wear a static wrist band while performing the installation.

One other question I have is that the new board doesn't have the plastic tabs to mount it to the furnace. Can I somehow reuse the old tabs from the old board? Or is there some other plastic tab available at the home improvement store that I can use?
jay235 is offline   Reply With Quote