Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lennox 80MGF 3/4-100A - Working Intermittently

We have a Lennox 80MGF 3/4-100A furnace. Aprox 12 years old. About a month ago it was turning on & off with a loud clicking sound. From what I can tell that sound was coming from the gas valve. I wanted to replace the crappy old Lux thermostat with a newer Lennox one anyway so I did that and the furnace has worked normally since. This morning we had the same occurrence....the loud clicking seeming to come from the valve and the furnace cycling on/off. This has an ECG-2 board. #1 LED was off and #2 LED was flashing at the time but would then go back to normal mode when off. I didn't really do anything but remove the main cover and jiggle a few wires and then tried turning the thermostat up a few more times and then it worked for about 20 minutes but did not reach desired temp before shutting off. I turned the thermostat down and then up again. When the thermostat called for heat the exhaust fan started, then the igniter and all burners ignited for a few seconds then turned off with codes now at #2 LED solid and #1 LED off and then back to normal blinking. Just had it off for about 20 minutes and tried it again and it started up fine and ran for a while but shut off again about a degree before reaching desired temp. Turned thermo down then up again and it started up as normal but something is obviously not working completely correct. Seems like I have a few symptoms here so don't really know where to begin to try and figure out what's wrong.

Once it cools I am going to try and do a little maintenance (clean filters, clean flame sensor, blow out dust, check wires, etc but am wondering what other things I should be looking into while I'm in there. Other areas that might be working incorrectly due to dirt, debris, moisture, etc that should be checked?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by nimunik; 11-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
nimunik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #2

Flame sensor and burner cleaning should take care of the problem. Sounds like a weak flame signal fault then a watch guard( lock out) fault.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #3

Hi Marty,

Thx for the reply. Do all these units have WatchGuard? Are there other things to clean/check white I am it? Isn't there some sort of hose that get's clogged too or is that in the A/C part only?
Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Post the complete model # and serial # so we know what series of unit you have. We are Lennox techs and the problems vary from one series to another.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Post the complete model # and serial # so we know what series of unit you have. We are Lennox techs and the problems vary from one series to another.
80MGF 3/4 - 100A 9
S/N 6398C 06703

Currently the furnace is turning on but not heating to desire temp. It's stopping about 1 degree shy but the whole thing shuts off at once instead of the flame then the blower. I would think the blower would continue for a little a bit while the heat exchanger cools right?

Last edited by nimunik; 11-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Does it have the error code legend on the inner door or inside the outer door and tell us what codes it was giving you. Yours is a series 9
http://tech.lennoxintl.com/PDFs/9801b.pdf

Last edited by yuri; 11-20-2010 at 02:26 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Does it have the error code legend on the inner door or inside the outer door and tell us what codes it was giving you.
Error codes on inside wall. (pls see pics below).

Earlier today when it was doing the clicking the #2 LED was flashing and the #1 LED was off. It hasn't done the clcking thing again. Now it just works for a while but turns off after maybe 20 minutes. When restarting it now the #2 LED is solid and the #1 LED blinks but then both return to normal simultaneous blinking. I can post videos and/or pics.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

I can`t read upside down or those pics clearly.

You need to look at those leds with a magnifying glass and make sure led 1 is itself as that board is upside down due the counterflow model. Should have the words above the leds.

Last edited by yuri; 11-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

I am identifying the LED's correctly. They are upside down but I checked at the board to make sure #1 was really #1, etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Try clean the flame sensor. Attached to the white wire and by the left burners. Remove the burners so you can get at it. Blow them out with compressed air and clean the face of the one in front of the sensor with emory paper. Check where the tube from the pressure switch attaches to the ventor fan for blockage of the nipple it attaches to. Clear the port with a drill bit or paper clip, bit is better.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #11

I just cleaned flame sensor and all burners. Now it is doing what it was doing when it first started having problems. That is the thermo calls for heat, the inducer turns on and then the gas valve clicks on and off a bunch of times until everything stops and then this cycle repeats. Eventually it will get to where it keeps cycling but the valve clicks just once and then everything just shuts off.

Below are 2 videos of exactly what's going on (just click on each pic). first video is the valve clicking cycle and 2nd video is when it doesn't click and everything ust shuts down and recycles. If you turn your sound up you should be able to hear the clicking. My wife doesn't manage to get the thermo turned up until about 35 seconds in.

Last edited by nimunik; 11-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Now that is REALLY strange. I have worked on hundreds of them and not seen that problem. Could be 3 issues and I suspect the third one:
1) jumper R to W with wires removed on circuit board (after labeling them)Your thermostat may be faulty/cutting in and out quickly. If it runs well then the tstat is the problem.
2) shorting/faulty gas valve shorting to ground
3) faulty circuit board. Usually those last 10 yrs and yours is older. May have a bad gas valve relay. A difficult and VERY tricky board to change as you get a retrofit kit and only experienced Lennox techs can figure it out. It does several series and different models of units and if you miswire it or don't completely understand it major problems can occur. I would recommend you call an experienced Lennox tech.

NOT my favorite Lennox unit (will need a ventor fan soon etc) and I am quite pro Lennox. If you plan to stay in the house I would recommend a 95% efficient G61V (mutilposition) which I hear qualifies for rebates from your gov't but end soon. VERY good and reliable furnace the G61V, Marty has one I believe.

Last edited by yuri; 11-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Now that is REALLY strange. I have worked on hundreds of them and not seen that problem. Could be 3 issues and I suspect the third one:
1) jumper R to W with wires removed on circuit board (after labeling them)Your thermostat may be faulty/cutting in and out quickly. If it runs well then the tstat is the problem.
2) shorting/faulty gas valve shorting to ground
So remove R and W and connect a wire between the two terminals? Do I turn power off first and then power on?

Is there any way to test for the valve short or bad valve relay? We are in no position to replace this entire unit just yet.

Last edited by nimunik; 11-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Remove all the tstat wires and label them after shutting off power and then do the jumper job. Turn power on. The rest of the procedures I would have to do myself or a skilled tech with proper meters etc to test the valve etc. Depending where you live the fuel savings of the higher eff unit will pay it off as well as adding the $$ you don't have to spend repairing it will buy you quite a bit of furnace. Finance it thru the local utility co if they do that in your area.

Last edited by yuri; 11-20-2010 at 05:26 PM.