Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

Lemon of a house my responsability

Prepare for a long post. Sometime in the summer, the bank forclosed on the house I was renting. The landlord and super can not be contacted. So when winter came around I went to turn the boiler on. It would stay on for 10 seconds than shut off. It turned out it was too full of water( I know NOTHING about heating systems at this point) We emptied the water and no problems surfaced for about a month. We stopped getting heat and when I went down to look at the boiler I was greeted by a basement full of oily water... the boiler had cracked. apparantly becaus it ran dry, even though I saw water pouring out of the 3 inch long crack above the burner. We called someone to "repair it" and he just put "Hercules boiler liquid" in it and said keep an eye on the water level. The boiler ran fine for about 3 more weeks, operating at alittle over quarter full in the sight glass without me meddling. When we stopped getting heat I checked it immmediately and found water dripping out yet another crack but the boiler was completely dry and VERY HOT. I turned it off and let it sit. for 3 days(I was away) I Had a guy come here today and showed me how to maintenance the Low water cut off, the water was goopy when he first opened the valve and so brown it looked like used motor oil. He ran it until it ran clear and told me to keep an eye on every day and keep draining it and refilling it. After adding some"Hercules Boiler Solder" he was on his way. Somewhere between the guy repairing the first crack and the guy cleaning the LWCO the auto water feeder stopped working... So ive been adding water manually to keet the glass between half and 3/4 full. When we turned the boiler on today the heat came up very slowly. the radiator in the front of the house on all levels took about 2 hours to get hot and the ones in the rear of the house arent heating up at all. There is also a fairly regular banging sound comming from the heating pipes in the basement near the boiler. Im on the second floor and I can hear it resonating through the walls and alittle bit through the pipes. I read around the internet for about 4 hours and know about pitching radiators and such but the sound isnt in the radiators Its in the pipes going to the boiler. Any thoughts? Could there be a restriction in the water return line or something? Possible caused buy the constant boiler "repairs") Would that cause these problems?

This shouldnt be my responsibility but in this 3 family house apparantly Im the mose mechanically inclined one...

beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #2

I awoke this morning to the sweet sound of silence... I jumped up thinking the boiler had cut off and stayed off, but my radiators were still hot. There is now a minor clanking in the rear of the house pretty much in the pipes in my wall near the bathroom radiator. That rad is actually trying to warm up. Its gets luke warm and I hear an occasional hiss of air comming out of the air valve accompanied by the clanging sound in the wall. Usually that radiator is hissing and tapping like crazy when the heat is on and it gets hot, it is still just warm. Any ideas whats happening to my boiler? Some Info: Its an american standard boiler, not sure how many BTU, but its about 7 feet long and 3 feet wide, and burns oil. Its older than 40 years I suspect its about 60 or 70 years old. Cast in the iron door is has the full name of the company I never knew "American Radiation/Standard Sanitary" Cool huh?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #3

Sounds like you're in way over your head. If it's foreclosed on, and the owner can't be found, then it's time to move!

Just remember, a boiler is a BOMB with a lit fuse when it operates with a fault. You're talking about it running hot and dry, and that's going to crack it. You know that if you add water to a dry red hot boiler, it WILL explode leveling the house, right? It happens, the water flashes over to steam in a heartbeat.

The water needs to be chemically treated, just like a pool does. Not that you're trying to salvage the system, but you will mess up the pipes without the chemicals, tap water isn't fit for the pipes. Just like you're supposed to use purified water in your radiator on the car. If you're flushing the system, it should be treated...
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #4

I agree im in over my head, but moving takes time, and until then we need heat. I am well aware of what happens when you shock a red hot boiler. When it ran dry I left it off for at least a day before adding anything to it to make sure it was cool. and I flushed the system with a cold boiler. I bough some boiler treatment and added it during the last flush. I had the LWCO checked to ensure proper operation after the cleaning Just to make sure that if it DOES run dry the house wont go kaboom. Also had the HPCO checked too. I was thinking maybe the return line was clogged or something making water buildup into the main steam line causing the knocking. IS this possible, and can It be snaked?

Last edited by beefy; 02-14-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #5

Ok I ran out of oil yesterday and the heat was off for 2 hours. After I got the delivery, and the heat started comming up like its normally supposed to. All the radiators heated up nice and quick. After about 3 hours the knocking in the back of the hosue resumed and the heater in the bathroom started squirting warm water. The sight glass on the boiler shows about 3/8s full of water. Any Ideas.?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
General Contractor

I have an idea you need to be moving and stop jacking with the boiler. Have you had any contact with the bank? There is a liability issue here...and you jacking with the boiler could make a liability case for the bank....to sue you for repairs/replacement.

Is there any reason you are not trying to buy the house yourself and then get it replaced correctly?

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #7

All this takes time I am looking into buying it, but again TIME consuming, what am I supposed to do while its 8 degrees here in NY? I came here for honest answers, Im having the boiler serviced by professionals, but I need to know when Im getting screwed. Because EVERYONE wants to install a new boiler in this place when all I need is heat until spring. Now is there anyone who wants to answer my question and stop telling me to move?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
General Contractor

I am offering the only advice I would feel comfortable with....I have seen pictures of a boiler explosion, and had anyone been in the structure, they wouldn't need advice either.

I can readily appreciate you have a problem with no heat and certainly a family to keep warm....I don't think anyone is trying to suggest this isn't a problem. You have posted a question, asking for advice, and you have recieved it. None of us, via a forum, are qualified to offer technical advice on a potentially dangerous problem that could result in injury, fire, or catostrophic failure...you need professional advice from your service guys there, on site.

Most questions, dealing with laying tile, or fixing a roof leak, do not involve the hazard you are dealing with....but anyway, best of luck.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote