Leaking Heat Exchanger In Furnace - Heat On - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Leaking Heat Exchanger in Furnace - Heat On

Hello,

I have an Aquatherm furnace that is fed hot water directly from my water heater. There are no gas burning components in the furnace itself. Today, I noticed water pooling at the bottom of the furnace and decided to open it up to inspect. Upon opening the front cover, I found that the filter was soaked and water seemed to be slowly running down the back corner from the heat exchanger. I removed the filter and noticed that the water was dripping to the bottom at a rate of abour 1 drip every 5 seconds or so.

I replaced the filter and cover and called an HVAC company. If it is, in fact the heat exchanger that is leaking, is this repairable? Am I better off purchasing a new furnace? Anyone ever have this problem?

I'm currently finishing my basement and the furnace has been picking up a lot of drywall dust. Could this have contributed to a leak?

Thanks,
Brent

Advertisement

Brentimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leaking Heat Exchanger in Furnace - Heat On

If I'm understanding you correctly. You have a hydro heat system.Hot Water is fed from your W.H. to a water (coil much like in an auto) The water coil may or maynot be able to be repaired. You will have to remove the water coil & inspect to determine if it can be repaired

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
Brentimus (03-19-2011)

Tags
furnace , heat exchanger , hvac , leak , water