Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Leaking Condenation Trap - Bryant

Bryant Plus 90, 18 yrs old. Changed inducer motor after 6 years. Now condensation trap is leaking at the nipples which have corroded badly and one has broken off entirely (without ever being touched). It appears that Carrier has class action suits against it for using a cheap metal in these older heaters. Does anyone know where I can get a spare or have hints on swapping them? If I can't get a spare soon, I will jury rig something with PVC and epoxy.

falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi falcon

If you will post the model and series number of your furnace, I will look up and let you know the new number. There are all kinds of places on the web to get the parts.

Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #3

The Bryant high-efficency furnace has performed really well on the whole, without problems until now.

The model number is 398AAW048100AFJA, serial number 0888A11990.
The trap is the front part of the 1988 version of the Condensing heat exchanger, perhaps the "collector box"? There are two nipples and a third connection attached via a gasket.

If I had to guess as to what caused this, I would suggest electrolytic action, as only the outer electrode (nipples) are corroded rather than the tank walls. I suspect there is another anode\cathode elsewhere in the water system, so that metal is being lost on the nipples. This can happen when a water system matches up incompatible metals, or at least that is my impression from very limited, non-professional, exerience. I believe Bryant changed the metal on the tank in later models, so I vaguely hoped it might be covered under some warranty.

Rusty, if you can find out the part number that would be great. If you can find out if I need the whole condensing unit, or can replace just the tank, that would be even better. Replacement instructions would be outstanding (hey, why not ask for it all!).

The model number is
Old 01-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi falcon

The part number for your condensate trap is 308589-401. Check the collector box also, I have ran into problems on those in this vintage furnace when used on LP gas. Just wanted to make sure you are safe. There is a hose kit available also, let me know and I will look it up for you if you need it.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #5

Rusty, I have a parts replacement guide that I saved from stuff the builder threw away. I think the collector box may be the right thingie, and I believe I have figured out which model applies now. I get collector box, 308090-404 for the original part. Is the one you mentioned a newer version replacement (less likely to corrode?). The hose kit would also be useful, as the tygon is old. You are very helpful on this list; do you work for Carrier? If so, you have been keeping us warm for years!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi falcon

I will look the hose kit and collector box part #s up for you tomorrow and post them here for you.

Rusty
Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #7

I beleive the new one is stainles steel. I think the kit carierman is giving you is the new hose kit they offer.
trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #8

Got it. Managed to order the parts for arrival tomorrow. Thanks a million everyone, esp. Carrierman.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi falcon

Just wanted to say Excellent. If you need any further help, one of us will be here.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #10

Hi Rusty,
I have a similar problem as Falcon, and the model of my furnace is 398AAW048080 with Serial no. 1687A05063. Can you help in providing the right PN to order, and where to order. Is this called a condensate trap or collector box? Thanks

Richard

ratan1 is offline   Reply With Quote