Leaking Around Joint Of PVC Pipes In Attic - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Leaking around joint of PVC pipes in attic

I had a high efficiency furnace installed in my garage 5 years ago (it's the only place the furnace could be placed). It's a pain and wish I'd never had it installed. Currently I have buckets collecting the condensation that is oozing out around the joints in the PVC pipes in my attic. The installer is coming out today to fix it but I'm concerned that it will just be a quick patch job and not corrected. My question is, if the installer just slaps on more sealant over the old, now wet, sealant, will it really seal? And even if the old sealant is removed, the pipe is still going to be wet and I don't see how a proper seal can be achieved. In my mind the two pipes need to be taken apart and sealant put in around the joint - but that's not going to happen. Is it possible this was never done right in the first place? Will I have to have the pipes resealed every couple years to prevent this from recurring?

(Sorry for the double posting as I also posted under introductions - I didn't know how to post here at first)

Advertisement

themadcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you post a photo of the pipes?

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #3

The service guy just came out and informed me the installer (5 years ago) had not glued the pipes together but only slathered some clear sealant around the joint. He peeled off the sealant and popped the pipes apart and glued them. But it's still leaking so now he says the glued section will have to be cut out and new pipe installed. And the company is trying to tell me this is not covered under warranty because it's been 5 years. My attic floor is already covered with water so I have no choice but to have it done.

I can get a picture up tonight maybe.
themadcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
Summit

So the installer is admitting to improper installation, but won't cover it because it's been 5 years. That's bad business. If it wasn't right from day 1 that's their fault, not yours. You shouldn't have to pay when they're the ones who made a mistake, or cut corners. If they're going to charge you send your money elsewhere to a business who cares about their reputation.
Summit Heating & Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcatter View Post
The service guy just came out and informed me the installer (5 years ago) had not glued the pipes together but only slathered some clear sealant around the joint. He peeled off the sealant and popped the pipes apart and glued them. But it's still leaking so now he says the glued section will have to be cut out and new pipe installed. And the company is trying to tell me this is not covered under warranty because it's been 5 years. My attic floor is already covered with water so I have no choice but to have it done.

I can get a picture up tonight maybe.
I don't know how much PVC piping is involved but that doesn't sound like a major job to do right. Of course, the water damage is another thing. That's probably why the original contractor is now trying to duck responsibility.
Irishking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,276

Once it's glue right it should last a lifetime. BTW, you do have a condensate drain line coming off this vent pipe near the bottom don't you?
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Sr. Development Engineer

Get them to give you a written estimate and have them state the reason for the repair. Then take that to your attorney to get satisfaction from the original installer. Don't tell anyone why you want this written into the estimate or they may not do it. If they are hungry enough they will do it.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

When doing PVC pipes they need to havc primer put on first and then the glue. The only way to repair the pipes you have now is to cut out the bad joints and have them replaced. If your pipes are in the attic, are they insulated. Going through a unconditioned space the exaust at least needs to be insulated. Otherwise the pipes will condensate and that could also look like a leak. Read the install manual on what needs to be done in a unconditioned space
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #9

I have seen many plumbers and installers cut PVC pipe and glue joints together without using any primer first. Don't know if that's the recommended protocol.
Irishking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,276

Irishking, Those are not plumbers.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
Sr. Development Engineer

Prime both, glue both, rotate then set. No brainer for a perfect joint.

I too have seen so called professionals not do it this way. I go to their bosses and let them know the caliber of the people they have in their employ. I have over 350 irrigation heads in my yard, I have spent the past 15 years fixing all that was done before I bought this place.

Advertisement

DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote