Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

LEAK in my A/C Condenser Outside.

I just bought a new Goodman A/C system this exact one here:
https://www.acwholesalers.com/Produc...ductCode=11632

Problem is after it is installed the condenser is leaking VERY slowly from this valve I have circled in the below pictures.

I come outside once every couple days and run my finger underneath the black cap there and a oily substance rubs off maybe 2-3 drops worth.
How should I go about stopping a leak like this? That black cap is on there SUPER tight so I am not quite sure how it is leaking out...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

morketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

thats the liquid line shradder for the hose conection shut the unit off take a shradder tool and tighten up the shradder pin...don't slam it just finger tight...if it is dripping freon...get a metal cap and slam it tight on that shradder port....plastic should hold it but try a steel cap....if the tightening doesn't stop the leak...exactly like a tire on your car shradder lightly fit it in catch the sharadder pin body and right turn to tighten it down

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

A lot of guys will braze the copper connections with those shraeder valve cores in place and end up melting the rubber seal. Might need a new one but unless you have hvac tools and know what you're doing you'll be needing to call a service company. Otherwise and as biggles has said, if you can find a metal cap torque it down hard with a wrench and it should hold.

Nowdays the metal caps have a removable rubber ring sealing the inside which helps immensely.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

Who installed this equipment DIY or PRO? If your buying metal caps don't forget to buy two, One for the suction side.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

They make a tool for about $ 30 that will allow you to replace the schrader valve without letting out all of the coolant. To me, tightening a cap is a band aid fix... The schrader valve is either loose or leaking and for the low cost and ease, should just be replaced.
jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

bet it's loose if he were to cook one.... he would of done that suction shradder he had to remove that one prior to BRAZING...1500F plus the brass fittings aren't discoloered...as a turbo would of left due to over heating
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrotten View Post
They make a tool for about $ 30 that will allow you to replace the schrader valve without letting out all of the coolant. To me, tightening a cap is a band aid fix... The schrader valve is either loose or leaking and for the low cost and ease, should just be replaced.
This is the best answer if the core isn't just loose. C&D core removal tool with ball valve is what you want.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote