Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Leak from air conditioning coil

Hello DIYers,
My AC unit has been leaking for few days now. I found the source of the leak is where the freon pipes get into the coil area. The leak comes from the thicker pipe with insulation. I showed the unit to two contractors one being sears. It is a 17 year old system and both of them wants me to change the unit. Both of them gave a quote of around 9K after rebates for carrier infinity system.

I honestly don't think the unit need to be replaced. I understand that it needs some service but not a new one. I know that this water comes from condensation and one of the contractors made sure that the water collected in the coil area is going into the drain and is working fine. I do feel a lot of air blowing in the area where the freon pipe enters the coil. I put some putty and duct tape so that the air doesn't blow from the opening. I feel the water is leaking from the outside of coil area but not sure.

The water is dripping right onto the filter causing the filter to be wet and bend.

Also, the insulation is not until the end of the pipe. There is a small area that is not insulated. I don't know if this is a problem. Really appreciate your help and suggestions.

I am attaching couple of pics.

Thanks,
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Leak from air conditioning coil-img_7369.jpg   Leak from air conditioning coil-img_7370.jpg  

sjthomas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

The insulation needs to be tight to the coil and sealed properly or it will sweat and drip.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

OK. I will try this tubing insulation in Home Depot and Lowes today. The other interesting thing is that the water leaks when the unit is not running. When the unit (and fan) are running, no wanter drips.

I left the fan to on instead of auto setting. Not sure if this helps but its interesting that the leak happens when the AC is not running.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 38

I think the drain pan and housing/cabinet are rotten/rusted thru. Not uncommon for a unit that age. With the fan off the water is siphoning thru the hole in the cabinet, so the problem is not just the insulation. You probably have water damage inside the furnace and will have soon. Time for a new unit(s).
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #5

I am afraid that will come up. I want to keep replacing as the last option. As you can see from the picture, do you think the rust is the problem? I shall replace the insulation and see if the leak fixes.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #6

cut that drain pipe down on the vertical downside and have bucket and wet vac ready to suck up out the water flow and suck out the tube. you got a clogged drain causing overflow in the collection pan.
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehiatt View Post
cut that drain pipe down on the vertical downside and have bucket and wet vac ready to suck up out the water flow and suck out the tube. you got a clogged drain causing overflow in the collection pan.
I don't think so as the technician from AJ Perry (they claim they are the largest in central jersey) who gave me a quote of 11K for replacing the whole thing put some water in the coil and made sure it's going into the drain pipe.

My unit is probably fine. I just don't want to replace the whole thing.

Tags
ac unit, leak