Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Share |

Laundry Venting

I have a problem with my laundry vent and I'm not sure how to resolve it. My laundry room has an exterior wall...well part of a wall. In the laundry room, there is a 8x6 section of wall that is outside facing.

The vent is currently located near the floor, about 1.5 above the ground, right near one side of the 8x6 section.

The 8x6 section of wall, outside, if located under a deck, in a corner (another section of house juts out on the one side...the same side as the dryer vent). Right next to the wall is my air conditioner. I also have an outdoor water spigot, electrical for the air conditioner, intake for the furnace, venting for the furnace. It's a crowded wall.

The problem is, where the dryer vents, it blows lint and pet hair (thanks to my dogs) onto the cement patio and onto the side of the house jutting out from the 8x6 wall. There is a layer of lint/pet hair out there that absolutely disgusts me.

I can try to move the dryer vent, but I'm not sure where to put it. I definately don't want it above the air conditioner or near the intake. Is there some website that lists appropriate distances from other surfaces for dryer vents? Frustrated.

NoIdeaWhatToDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Laundry Venting

Welcome to the forum!

Not exit within 10’ of any house intakes (furnace), under “Vents”; http://www.mybuildingpermit.com/Insp...0checklist.pdf

Use Type “A” for 50% more airflow out the hood vent; http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

3’ from any opening to the house, door, window; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...up65cYgFwMvULw

The HVAC pros will be along soon, not my expertise…

Gary

Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Laundry Venting

You may want to look into adding an inline (or secondary) lint trap. From the way you describe your current dryer vent, the adding of an inline lint trap will also require some re-piping of your dryer vent, but it may make that job easier to decide a location.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote