Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen relocation, are HVAC registers needed

We're currently renovating a 13+ year old home, and we've decided that the kitchen should be in a different spot on the main floor. We will be swapping the location of the kitchen and the family room which are approximately the same size rooms. The current kitchen (future family room) does not have any HVAC registers or ducting. The current family room (future kitchen) has two floor registers that are not ideally located for our new kitchen (one would end up under the sink, and the other under the oven...). The home's thermostat is located approximately half way down the hallway between these two rooms.
I recall that our previous home did not have any floor registers in the kitchen, and I'm wondering if we can simply remove the two floor registers from the new kitchen, and relocate these two floor registers to the new living room?

bion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #2

i would add new ones and leave the other ones there providing your system will allow this to be done..

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
bion (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmon
i would add new ones and leave the other ones there providing your system will allow this to be done..
Thanks, is there any concern that one register will end up below a base cabinet that is directly situated between the future oven and the future fridge locations (both heat producing appliances)? Or that the second register will end up directly below the sink base cabinet?

The walls of the crawl space below the main floor are insulated, the ceiling of the crawl space is unfinished. I've noticed that the two existing registers are fed off of one independent duct line.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

The one under the sink is a normal spot..comes out kick plate of cabinet.. the other one should be elswhere probably although the heat gain from the fridge or stove is reallly no concern... if you can relocate the one by the stove easily do it ..
Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Much appreciated
Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

and dont forget to pu a damper in each run.....comes in handy for balancing things