Kerosene Heating Issues - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Kerosene heating issues

For simply hanging out in a Garage in cold weather, a friend of mine have tried 2 different types of kerosene heaters, one was a propane Bazooka [or Torpedo] type heater which was a waste so he then tried a kerosene 60k bazooka type which warmed the garage in a few minutes, 2 problems, one, it made a LOT of noise and 2 two, since the garage would be totally warmed up in 10 minutes or so and he would have to shut it down, every time he restarted it, the smell would be terrible. I was told by one guy that there is a bazooka type of kerosene heater which has a thermostat so only when you start it the first time that you get the smell, whenever the thermostat shuts it off and restarts any time afterwards you don't get the smell, is this true? If so, can anyone tell me what type of kero heater does this? Also, there is the noise issue, is there a bazooka kero heater which does not make a lot of noise?

Advertisement

mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #2

Kerosene heating issues

I am wondering if a torpedo heater using k-1 kerosene will solve the smell problem?

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Kerosene heating issues

Check out the heaters on Northern Tool. You can get a 28,000 BTU propane garage heater for $100 there. It mounts on the wall, and you can plumb it to a 20 pound tank. No smell!
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,546

Kerosene heating issues

The type of kerosene used will make a differeence. K1 will be better then normal home heating fuel.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #5

Kerosene heating issues

The propane wall mounted won't work for my friend because that's what I have and he doesn't like the way it heats, he wants a quick acting Kerosene heater which is why he's looking for a torpedo type. I have to ask around if using the K-1 will produce no smell but I need to hear from someone who's actually done this and then there's the noise issue too.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

Kerosene heating issues

Kerosene always smells IMO. I can't stand the stuff. Folks around my wife's part of the country (upstate NY) still use them in their houses, and I can't imagine raising kids with those fumes in the air.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Kerosene heating issues

I have not used this site before, so if this is not how to ask a questions just let me know.
I have a Majestic Gas stove in my living room, the pilot goes out and when I do get it to light it goes out within a couple of minutes. We need that heat today, and the flier with the stove says they fresh air needs adjusting, but it doesn't tell us how to do that, can someone tell use how to adjust the air and gas ratio.
DJ
sfmdjm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #8

Kerosene heating issues

Not at all, I myself have been using a Convention kerosene heater for a few years now but I have only used the expensive k-1 kerosene and there's absolutely no smell but then I have never used it indoors, only in the garage which has fresh air coming in at all times t the bottom of the 2 doors, however, when I stand directly above it, I get no smell at all. The smell of the torpedo heater I had mentioned in my original post is not really kerosene smell, I can't explain it but it smelt really foul whenevr starting up.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Kerosene heating issues

I would be concerned with CO2 poisoning either method,,,unless exhaust or burnt fumes were chimeyed OUT of the garage. Does the house have a natural gas furnace?? Put a natural gas hanging heater with a themostat in it complete with proper chimney and your good to go. Even a lawn mower,snowblower, generator,,,running inside a closed garage even with the door open is an invitaion to disaster. Sometimes you just DONT get a second chance. Those non vented heaters have warnings on them for a REASON!! AT LEAST put a co2 warning device out there!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #10

Kerosene heating issues

Yeah, that's great advice, I will get a detector, thanks, in the meantime if any knows of a quieter torpedo kerosene heater, please post.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #11

Kerosene heating issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
I would be concerned with CO2 poisoning either method,,,unless exhaust or burnt fumes were chimeyed OUT of the garage. Does the house have a natural gas furnace?? Put a natural gas hanging heater with a themostat in it complete with proper chimney and your good to go. Even a lawn mower,snowblower, generator,,,running inside a closed garage even with the door open is an invitaion to disaster. Sometimes you just DONT get a second chance. Those non vented heaters have warnings on them for a REASON!! AT LEAST put a co2 warning device out there!!
Minor detail, but CO2 is carbon dioxide, and is not toxic. The danger is Carbon Monoxide, CO.

Another danger of combustion space heaters is oxygen depletion. If used in an enclosed space, the heater can use up so much oxygen that you could pass out from oxygen deprevation. Some heaters have a Oxygen Depletion Shut-off, meaning they will sense low oxygen levels and shut themselves off before you're drain bamaged. I'd consider that feature essential for a heater like this. I know the propane garage heater I just ordered has one.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #12

Kerosene heating issues

BTW, I am trying to get rid of a newer 100lb Propane tank but can't seem to get it sold on the classifieds, anyone got any ideas on where/how I might get this sold or traded/exchanged please?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #13

Kerosene heating issues

Maybe one of the fuel companies in your area would take it?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #14

Kerosene heating issues

The only company which delivers to residential in my area and is the one I use, they don't trade or purchase tanks.

Last edited by mikehende; 01-20-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #15

Kerosene heating issues

I got someone asking this:

Quote:
does the tank have the new safety valve that can be filled in NY
I have no idea what he means, anyone got any idea, this is a pic of the the tank fixture
Attached Thumbnails
Kerosene heating issues-picture-147.jpg  

Advertisement