Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kenmore ref. not cooling

I have a Kenmore ref. with a bottom freezer (model 596.72222200). the problem is the freezer works fine but the ref is only at 60 degrees. I can hear the fan running but it is not getting cold. It worked two days ago. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

bloom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #2

Kenmore ref. not cooling

I have the same fridge as you and it just started doing the same thing. No one has replied to your post yet, but hopefully they will. I too am looking for a solution. If I solve the problem I will let you know.

lampranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #3

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Kind of a shot in the dark, I'm not real familiar with Kenmore. Though I have seen a fair share of Amana and they are similar.
Most likely problem is frost build up. Either the timer stopped, the drain is plugged or the door was left slightly ajar. With serious frost build up, one defrost cycle may not be enough to clear the evaporator.
You can manually defrost by removing the plastic cover by the light, you'll see the timer behind a metal plate with a hole in the front. Insert a screwdriver and turn to the right until the compressor stops. After the defrost cycle is finished, let it run for half an hour, then repeat. Check the drain pan for water, there should be something in there, if not the drain line may be plugged.
There are so many models out there it is difficult to keep them all sorted out, if you have a model with the digital display, in your manual it will tell you how to manualy defrost in service mode.
There are other things that can cause similiar events, like the condesor coils being plugged with dog hair or dust. Refers are generally set up to freeze primarily and then cool the refrigerator part. When function starts to diminish, it may be noticed in the rfrigerator portion first.
There are often some other components associated with a defrost cycle. A thermal switch or thermistor to shut of the defrost cycle, when it reaches a warm enough temperature and some models have a seperate defrost thermostat built in.
If the timer isn't where I think it is, it may be behind the front kick panel.
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

Kenmore ref. not cooling

You have a defrost problem It could be the timer, heater, or defrost limit.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #5

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
You have a defrost problem It could be the timer, heater, or defrost limit.

Thanks a lot for responding to my post. How do I go about correcting this defrost problem? I always thought my fridge was self- defrosting. I have never seen any ice build up. Any suggestions?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #6

Kenmore ref. not cooling

pull the cover off the back of the freezer. If the evaporator (the aluminum tubes on the back wall) is covered in frost you have a defrost problem.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #7

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Look in the back of the freezer for the evaporator coil, mine had frozen over with frost extending into the freezer. you have to remove the ice maker and four screws to remove the panel. under the panel you will see the coil and around the outside of it is a black rod - the heating element that is suppost to defrost the coil. check that for ohms, i think it is suppost to be 38 or sumthing like that (search google, there are topics about what it is supposed to be). If that is ok, above the light/fridge temp controls in the front of the fridge is the defrost timer, that could be bad too.

For me, my problem started when I moved the unit inside from the garage in hot humid weather. I allowed the unit to completely defrost with the back panel off in the freezer and a fan on it for two days. I have turned the unit back on and am watching it closely. so far it seems to be working properly with at least one defrost cycle happening. I think that when I moved it inside the house, it partially defrosted and was not able to evaporated all the water quick enough - this is my theory so far anyway. i will post again in a month.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Thanks for the response. You are exactly right about the defrost problem. I have purchased a new timer from Sears and I will install it today. I have already defrosted the coils, which were iced up quite a bit, but after four days they were once again covered with ice.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #9

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Let me know if the timer solves the problem. By the way, about how much was the timer?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #10

Kenmore ref. not cooling

The 596 model,was built by amana,for sears.After retiring from sears.I still get some calls on that model.Most times,it's the defrost bimetal,that causes the problem. Amana had a history with their defrost bimetal
d scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #11

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Thanks d scott. Forgive my ignorance but is the defrost bimetal the same as the defrost timer or is it the defrost heater or something completely different.

I had completely defrosted my fridge and all seemed to be working with me seeing it defrost once. however, within two days the evaporator coil was iced up even worse than before it defrosted. I hope it will defrost today but we will see.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #12

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom42 View Post
Thanks d scott. Forgive my ignorance but is the defrost bimetal the same as the defrost timer or is it the defrost heater or something completely different.

I had completely defrosted my fridge and all seemed to be working with me seeing it defrost once. however, within two days the evaporator coil was iced up even worse than before it defrosted. I hope it will defrost today but we will see.
The Bi metal is a disc shaped temp activated switch. When cold the contacts are closed and will pass power to the defrost heater. At a temp in the 40 to 80* range the bi metal flexes open stooping power to heater that by this time should be free of frost.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #13

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Thanks. Can you tell me where this disc is located?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #14

Kenmore ref. not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom42 View Post
Thanks. Can you tell me where this disc is located?

Usually at the top left or right side of the evap.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

Kenmore ref. not cooling

I am looking at the parts list and am not seeing anything that looks or sounds like the defrost bi-metal. Is there another name for it?