Just Trying To Understand Why Water Leaked From This Hole In My AC - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Just trying to understand why water leaked from this hole in my AC

Hey guys, got some photos below for you. Basically, one night my air conditioner starting leaking heavily from the small black hole in the first photo, especially right after it would go off for a cycle or something, then it would pour water for a few seconds as shown in the last photo. It would start dripping once the AC started to run again though. Anyways, I fixed it by simply adjusting the black drain hose you see in the photo. What had happened was my drain hose was extra long and it was actually sitting on some gunk deep in the floor drain that was clogging it I believe. After adjusting it so it would sit a bit higher so it wouldn't be pushed up against the drain gunk, it drains fine and there are no leaks. Problem solved I believe.

But I was just wondering something. What is the plastic area called that has the drain hose, the extra plastic nut, and the extra black hole called that is shown in the first photo? And also, when the drain hose was clogged, water would leak out from that extra tiny black hole at the top of the plastic part in the first photo... the hole between the drain hose and the other plastic cap... what is this extra black hole? Is it an overflow? Or is it something that I need to plug shut?

Thanks a bunch. I am just curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Just trying to understand why water leaked from this hole in my AC-img_20120822_063753.jpg   Just trying to understand why water leaked from this hole in my AC-img_20120822_063804.jpg   Just trying to understand why water leaked from this hole in my AC-img_20120822_063811.jpg   Just trying to understand why water leaked from this hole in my AC-img_20120822_064441.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by amodoko; 08-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodoko View Post
Hey guys, got some photos below for you. Basically, one night my air conditioner starting leaking heavily from the small black hole in the first photo, especially right after it would go off for a cycle or something, then it would pour water for a few seconds as shown in the last photo. It would start dripping once the AC started to run again though. Anyways, I fixed it by simply adjusting the black drain hose you see in the photo. What had happened was my drain hose was extra long and it was actually sitting on some gunk deep in the floor drain that was clogging it I believe. After adjusting it so it would sit a bit higher so it wouldn't be pushed up against the drain gunk, it drains fine and there are no leaks. Problem solved I believe.

But I was just wondering something. What is the plastic area called that has the drain hose, the extra plastic nut, and the extra black hole called that is shown in the first photo? And also, when the drain hose was clogged, water would leak out from that extra tiny black hole at the top of the plastic part in the first photo... the hole between the drain hose and the other plastic cap... what is this extra black hole? Is it an overflow? Or is it something that I need to plug shut?

Thanks a bunch. I am just curious.
looks like a vent...your drain hose is plugged... clean it out

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
amodoko (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,542

agree with carman drain is clogged.....needs cleaned.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
amodoko (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Yep, you guys are right, the drain hose was clogged. Was just wondering what the small black hole was in the first picture, and seems like you guys answered it with it being a vent hole of some sort. Thanks a bunch
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amodoko For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-22-2012)