Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

Just added freon to A/C and not cooling--help

Hello:

Here's the story. I moved some of my things in a month ago. I stayed for two days then. It was talking the A/C what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time to cool the apt down. In fact, even though it would eventually cool, there were times where the room temperature could not go as low as the thermostat temperature.

I just came back a few days ago. The same was happening for a day or two. Then it stopped cooling all together (i.e. it was blowing warmish air).

I have a standard set-up I think. There is a digital thermostat in the apt and a condensor unit outside.

The repairman came. He said that the system was "running under pressure." He said I needed the following services:

R-22 (that is, freon)
power-washing for the condensor
a new contactor

He wanted to charge me 350 to 500 dollars.

As I am a renter, I deemed it advisable to seek a second opinion. Unlike the first man, the second didn't even hook up hoses to the condensor or anything. He just took the metal cover off, looked at it, and said I needed the following:

freon
new contactor
new capacitor
new filter

I had the first man come back and add freon. It started cooling again. It was to the point where the programmed temperature equaled the room temperature and it would cut off. But, after a half day or so, it stopped cooling again.

I called around again today. I wanted to know how much it costs to change a capcitor (thinking this was the problem). The man said that that could be the problem, but that it sounds more like I have a leak.

I obviously know nothing about this. But it seems odd that I could have a leak. When I came to view the apt in late June, the A/C seemed to be running fine. It was very cold in the apt--though I admit I was in the apt for no more than 15 minutes.

That is all the background I can provide. I don't know how old the unit is. It doesn't look as modern as some of the other ones I have seen. If can take picture of the unit if that would help you diagnose the problem.

Thank you for your consideration.

John

Heatwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #2

You can change the capacitor. If start cooling again AC doesn't have leak.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
You can change the capacitor. If start cooling again AC doesn't have leak.
Is there any reason you recommend the capacitor over the contactor? The capacitor looked just a little bit rusted out.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
30 year tech

If your guy had to add freon then there is a leak as it is a sealed system.
There is no way we can know if the other parts are bad without testing.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
Is there any reason you recommend the capacitor over the contactor? The capacitor looked just a little bit rusted out.

The AC was running when the first guy added the refrigerant.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Why didn't you call the landlord. Renters don't pay for repairs to the landlord's property or equipment unless they damaged it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
The AC was running when the first guy added the refrigerant.
In infer that the contactor isn't bad if it runs from this reply. But is it just guess work w/r/t the capcitor. After all, it is just a little rusted out.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Why didn't you call the landlord. Renters don't pay for repairs to the landlord's property or equipment unless they damaged it.
The landlord is out of the country. I have repeatedly tried to contact him. I will ask him to credit me on my rent--but that is a distracting aside.

What do you guys recommend as far as testing is concerned?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
In infer that the contactor isn't bad if it runs from this reply. But is it just guess work w/r/t the capcitor. After all, it is just a little rusted out.
The contactor you can see the problem.....capacitor can be weak....

Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Lets start in the beginning. Does the outdoor unit run, ie: fan spins and compressor sound like it is running. Should be able to hear it run. Otherwise you are going to be doing a parts changing routine.

Last edited by yuri; 07-28-2011 at 06:27 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
REP

If the unit keeps coming on then it is doubtfull that either the contactor or capcitor is bad.
The one guy added freon and that seemed to work but now you are back at step one.
From my vantage point it looks like you have a freon leak.You can either have that guy come back every other day and add freon or you could have that guy find the leak and repair it, and then you should be alright.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Lets start in the beginning. Does the outdoor unit run, ie: fan spins and compressor sound like it is running. Should be able to hear it run. Otherwise you are going to be doing a parts changing routine.
outside unit runs. i just learned that the it had freon in april. this lends more support to the theory that it has a leak.