Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
dal

Share |

Jeeeeze..... it's long....

I just found this forum and it sure is nice that diy'ers don't get raked over the coals for simply wanting to understand stuff. Here goes. I have a 23 year old Rheem (RGCA-10EC) nat gasser. In getting estimates to replace it, well, let's just say it's way out of my budget! Fortunatley it's running okay. My interest is in replacing it myself, since parts seem to be somewhat hard to get and expensive if I were to "rebuild" it. My question(s) are: Since I'm very reasonably handy, and actually installed the old one 23 years ago, are the newer more efficient models much harder installation wise? The Rheem is an Imperial 80 Plus model. Would a new replacement 80% model benefit me? I believe I could re-use the existing metal flue. 3" B vent. Through the roof. Do any of you have any recommendations for this "project"? On the old unit, I had a tin man do the duct work and the house (ranch) has seemed to be fairly evenly heated and cooled. He really knew his stuff. Since it's been so cold here (Michigan) recently, I think it's about time to replace the old beast-- although in 23 years all that's been replaced is the ignition controll module. Sorry for the long first posting, but as I get my feet wet with all the on-line HVAC info I realize that there's a lot of dis-satisfaction with just about every manufacturer out there, and if I do the install correctly I may have no more or less problems than the trained people. Thoughts?

dal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #2

not too difficult,especially if that old tin man is still around.could be good to use a 90+.if possible.they come with pretty detailed instrctions.would have to replace metal vent with pvc.again not too hard.

jbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Electrical Engineer

You can't buy a furnace thats less than 78%. Most of the brands only go as low as 80%. You would pay more for a 90+ furnace initially, but since you live in a cold area, the money you save on gas would soon pay for it. Like jbac said, its not too hard if you can work with PVC and follow installation instructions exactly. Rheem is a good brand. It might be hard to find one that you can buy an do the installation yourself. But yes, if you install it correctly and set gas pressure properly it will work fine. Also, make sure you buy the right size furnace - it is very important! Have someone come to your house to do a load calculation first, it is worth the money.
rakes9720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #4

Wow, down here in Georgia I can't even buy a replacement computer board for a furnace, if I'm not licensed they aren't selling it to me......
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #5

3" bvent is no way big enough for a 100,000 btu furnace,Replace the chimny.to 5"
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote