DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

It's Here! Honeywell has internet enabled Thermostats!

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  raylo32 
#1 ·
#7 ·
For ease of installation of the wired stat for the humidifier. You can drill a hole in the intake of the direct vent furnace and install the sensor there. It wont be exactly accurate but will be close enough to do the job. And then you wont have to run. The wire all the way outside.

#8 ·
Hey, that's a great idea! And it should be pretty accurate since the pipe run inside of conditioned space is only about 12 feet. I could install the sensor where it comes through the wall but not sure there would be significant warming in that 12 feet.

Thanks for the idea!

For ease of installation of the wired stat for the humidifier. You can drill a hole in the intake of the direct vent furnace and install the sensor there. It wont be exactly accurate but will be close enough to do the job. And then you wont have to run. The wire all the way outside.

#2 ·
Excellent. I have been using the 3M Filtrete version of a RadioThermostat (model 3M50) for a year or so and really enjoy the Internet connectivity. It works well but I'll be checking out the Honeywell for comparison.

One question that is key: will Honeywell charge a fee (monthly or annual) for the web interactivity? The other guys are free.

#3 ·
It is free. I already installed the ap on my phone. I think comparatively vs the radio stat for someone who has all the bells and whistles like. Twelfth then the Honeywell will be the way to go. I have humidification, dehumidification, and ventilation. So one control such as the prestige IAQ 2.0 will be the way to go. Currently I have the vision pro IAQ.

#4 ·
Hmmm... One thing I don't like about the Honeywell is you need that separate internet gateway. The RTCOA connects directly to the router via wifi. One thing I like about the Honeywell is there is a wireless outdoor temp sensor available. I have an Aprilaire powered humidifier and it would be nice to be able to get a wireless outdoor temp signal to the humidistat. I suppose that would require some more Honeywell IAQ controls inside to do that?

#6 ·
I have always used my Aprilaire 700 in manual mode and with my old mid-eff furnace pulling in dry air for combustion I never had frosting/condensation issues and the humidifier basically ran 100% of the time the furnace ran. But with my new direct vent furnace I am hoping to have better humidity retention. I will probably install the Aprilaire wired outside temp sensor and run the thing in auto this winter. Maybe look at upgrading to fancier IAQ next year depending on how this works out.

It would require at least the prestige iaq. This would allow your hvac stat to also control the humidifier with window frost protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.