Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #1

Share |

Issue with Trane Compressor

I have a Trane 3 1/2 ton residential TTB042D100A unit. It stopped working suddenly and trips the breaker immediately on start. . Never had an issue with it unit now. It is just 8 years old.

I measured the resistance on the compressor, I get 1.0 OHM from start from S-R and S-C and .03 OHM from R - C on the wiring diagram. Is this a shorted compressor? The capacitor looks intact and not bulged.

I don't know what the winding resistance should be, but the fan is around 25 OHMS. It seems shorted to me, but maybe that is what its supposed to be at startup.

Is there any hope for this? (Maybe a start kit?) There may have been a powersurge around the time it died, other things in the house failed as well.

lh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #2

how about from each termnial to the copper line see if you read anything might be like putting the leads of the meter together in the ohms reading mode.if it is your shorted winding to compressor body.on the insulated line burp some freon out into your hand or fingers and hold it up to your NOSE if it is a burnt smell or burns your snoz the compressor is burnt out and during the meltdown it cooked the freon also.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #3

If you are very comfortable working with electricity:

Turn off the A/C breaker

Put two 4w or 7-1/2w small incandescent lamps in series with the compressor 240v input in series with 120v.

That is, the current comes from the 120v hot lead and goes through a lamp and into one 240v input and comes out the other 240v input and goes through the other lamp and returns to the 120v neutral.

You'll need heavy duty clip leads to do this. Watch out these clip leads don't pop off and land in bad places.

The compressor is now fed by way less than 120v and way less power than it is used to.

I've heard that, in some circles, a modification of this method was a standard test for new wiring.

Both bulbs will probably appear to be full brightness.

With the breakers still off, now your compressor is fed by a sort-of-Current-Source rather than an almost Ideal Voltage Source, and you can measure the AC impedance presented to the line by the compressor by measuring the current through the 120v line and voltage across the compressor.

The desired impedance value should be approximately 240v divided by the locked rotor current listed on the nameplate, probably giving around two ohms impedance.
The advantage over an ohmmeter is that you're measuring reactance and not resistance.

If it is << 2 ohms, power down and start disconnecting things until the short clears.

A simpler version, but not as realistic, is to power the compressor with a doorbell xformer just long enough to measure V and I. No bulbs.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-05-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
oops, did I do that!

Your compressor is fried...call the insurance company.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Your compressor is fried...call the insurance company.
Talk about making a long story short!
Some of my ideas are half-baked and others haven't even seen the oven.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #6

Seems there were issues with low voltage. I got my voltage down very low under load and called the electric company. They have a distribution issue. At the time it failed the voltage may have been low and the motor struggled to start. There were other things in the house that failed at the exact same time. Whatever the case, they are interested in making things right, so thats a good thing.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh12345 View Post
Seems there were issues with low voltage. I got my voltage down very low under load and called the electric company. They have a distribution issue. At the time it failed the voltage may have been low and the motor struggled to start. There were other things in the house that failed at the exact same time. Whatever the case, they are interested in making things right, so thats a good thing.
In MD they're "allowed" to go between 114v and 126v.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
In MD they're "allowed" to go between 114v and 126v.
How bout 102-113. THe guy measured 112 with the meter off. I get 102 if I turn on all the appliances in the house. Imagine if that big compressor is struggling to start with under 200 volts, maybe less?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
How bout 102-113. THe guy measured 112 with the meter off. I get 102 if I turn on all the appliances in the house. Imagine if that big compressor is struggling to start with under 200 volts, maybe less?
Check the specs on the compressor nameplate for required voltage into it.

Not an electrician, but,
with almost everything turned on in your house:
I guess if it reads lower than 114v x 2 volts at the point where the cables come into your house then the problem is upstream, with PoCo.
Otherwise, it's downstream, in your house, with bad connections or undersized wire.
If some lights get brighter in your house when the compressor tries to start, it could also be a bad neutral connection in your house.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Check the specs on the compressor nameplate for required voltage into it.

Not an electrician, but,
with almost everything turned on in your house:
I guess if it reads lower than 114v x 2 volts at the point where the cables come into your house then the problem is upstream, with PoCo.
Otherwise, it's downstream, in your house, with bad connections or undersized wire.
If some lights get brighter in your house when the compressor tries to start, it could also be a bad neutral connection in your house.
He read 112 with the meter off the box, 221 across both. If the xformer is weak or some other issue, and I load down the house, why can't the voltage drop and be po cos fault? If I turn on all the appliances I can get 108 at the entrance, 103-104 at a running whirlpool that is 150 ft away.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
He read 112 with the meter off the box, 221 across both. If the xformer is weak or some other issue, and I load down the house, why can't the voltage drop and be po cos fault? If I turn on all the appliances I can get 108 at the entrance, 103-104 at a running whirlpool that is 150 ft away.
I think it is PoCo's fault, especially if your house is far from the pole transformer.

If they won't help you, you might be able to get a buck-boost xformer wired as a boost, but I think the minimum boost is 12 vac. That might be OK for you.

When Monday comes there will be a lot more advice coming your way.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
I think it is PoCo's fault, especially if your house is far from the pole transformer.

If they won't help you, you might be able to get a buck-boost xformer wired as a boost, but I think the minimum boost is 12 vac. That might be OK for you.

When Monday comes there will be a lot more advice coming your way.
200 feet of buried wire
Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #13

I have an older Trane which had a similar problem. The crankcase heater on mine is mounted externally at the bottom of the compressor and it shorted to the compressor case. The unit tripped the breaker immediately every time I tried to reset it. You may have a internally shorted compressor but it wouldn't hurt to check this out as well. Good luck.

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac, trane, trips breaker