Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

island cooktop - hood vent or downdraft vent

1. Can anyone recommend the more ideal vent: hood vent or downdraft vent?
2. Does anyone else agree that island cook tops are more messy to cook with than putting cook top against a wall?

My kitchen ceiling is only 8 foot and goes out to the roof (rancher house). Downdraft would go down to my basement, where I have a drop ceiling and out a brick wall (little chiseling).

Thanks!

maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,828

Straight up.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

We have the downdraft vent and here are the positives and negatives.

Negatives:
1) It just doesn't do quite as good of a job as a hood vent. Smoke/steam naturally rises after all.

2) You may lose a burner spot. I've seen some units with vents that rise from the back but ours takes up a burner spot. So instead of having a five burner(one warming element) we instead have a four burner.

Positives:
1) The downdraft units aren't as intrusive. You don't have anything hanging from the ceiling and obstructing views.

2) You don't have the added cost of an island vent hood, which can be very expensive.

Personally, I'd now prefer* the vent hood as a warming eye would be nice to have. I also think the vent could be run at lower speeds, thus lower decibels, because the downdraft units must work to get the smoke/steam to flow into it.

*UNLESS the retractable downdraft vents do a better job than ours. In that case, I'd definetly go back with the downdraft vent....

It's not that big of a deal though, unless losing an element, so really comes down to preference.

Good luck

Last edited by Ralph III; 04-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 330

If it is an island cooktop I would go with a downdraft and install a pot rack above the island. Perfect use of space in my opinion. We have high ceilings and have never had a problem with anything hitting or discoloring the ceiling with our downdraft. The downdraft doesn't so AS good of a job but it is plenty good enough for the majority of home cooks. Maybe if you are some crazy home chef it might be an issue. Having your pots and pans withing arms length while you are cooking is really nice to have.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post

*UNLESS the retractable downdraft vents do a better job than ours. In that case, I'd definetly go back with the downdraft vent....

It's not that big of a deal though, unless losing an element, so really comes down to preference.

Good luck
My parents have the retractable downdraft vent and it works much better than the normal downdraft in the middle but still not as well as an above range vent.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
My parents have the retractable downdraft vent and it works much better than the normal downdraft in the middle but still not as well as an above range vent.
Yes, that is what I was afraid of. We were trying to stick with a single name brand on our appliances and/or budget, so didn't have the option of the retractable.

That being the case, I'd tell the OP to go with a retractable downdraft as we appreciate the open space. I did try convincing my wife we should eventually go back with a range hood but she won't consider it........

Ralph
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Pot racks are amazing. I would love to have one. Maybe next house... We don't have the space this time. Pot Rack > Range Hood any day
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Yes, that is what I was afraid of. We were trying to stick with a single name brand on our appliances and/or budget, so didn't have the option of the retractable.

That being the case, I'd tell the OP to go with a retractable downdraft as we appreciate the open space. I did try convincing my wife we should eventually go back with a range hood but she won't consider it........

Ralph
i concur that the retractable downdraft system is the best compromise, money and space permitting. we love our pot rack way too much give up.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

knotquiteawake, nitronate and ralph III, thanks so much. Exactly the feedback I needed. Sounds like retractable downdraft is the answer for me. Here are my reasons (from you all's valuable feedback):
1. i have lower than normal ceilings (8 foot) 9'foot is typical minimum. whether for a pot rack or open space, not having a bulky hood vent will look less crowded

2. I don't need extra power of the updraft (hood). I've heard several of you say the downdrafts do the job and I don't have a restaraunt. so I only need for my onion, garlic, burned food smells. Pretty good venting is enough for me.

3. Downdrafts I've seen don't use an extra burner. They retract/extract behind all the usual burners. ON top of that, I have a family of 5 and still rarely use more than one or two burners.

Here are other random thoughts:
1. money isn't a consideration for me since downdraft seems to be very close to the hood vent option. I'm not getting a custom hood vent and I've seen very modern hood vents for pretty cheap. Plus what's an extra hundred bucks for the right solution.

2. Pot racks rule. I had one in our last house and wow, that thing was great. No opening drawers, clanking pots/pans, lids, no shuffeling. Easy put away, easy get. Also, I'd wash dishes and put them up still a bit wet. They're hang drying.

3. Why do most contractors deal crooked. They're the reason I am a do it yourself-er. Also why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway. Also, why did the turtle cross the street - to get to the shell station.

Later!
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

[quote=maveric;907708]knotquiteawake, nitronate and ralph III, thanks so much. Exactly the feedback I needed. Sounds like retractable downdraft is the answer for me. Here are my reasons (from you all's valuable feedback):
1. i have lower than normal ceilings (8 foot) 9'foot is typical minimum. whether for a pot rack or open space, not having a bulky hood vent will look less crowded

2. I don't need extra power of the updraft (hood). I've heard several of you say the downdrafts do the job and I don't have a restaraunt. so I only need for my onion, garlic, burned food smells. Pretty good venting is enough for me.

3. Downdrafts I've seen don't use an extra burner. They retract/extract behind all the usual burners. ON top of that, I have a family of 5 and still rarely use more than one or two burners.

Here are other random thoughts:
1. money isn't a consideration for me since downdraft seems to be very close to the hood vent option. I'm not getting a custom hood vent and I've seen very modern hood vents for pretty cheap. Plus what's an extra hundred bucks for the right solution.

2. Pot racks rule. I had one in our last house and wow, that thing was great. No opening drawers, clanking pots/pans, lids, no shuffeling. Easy put away, easy get. Also, I'd wash dishes and put them up still a bit wet. They're hang drying.

3. Why do most contractors deal crooked. They're the reason I am a do it yourself-er. Also why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway. Also, why did the turtle cross the street - to get to the shell station.

Later! [/uote]
I do not understand the deal crooked comment.....Ii have been in business for 30 years... does that mean i should have retired by now

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote